Important Hop Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlafnitzegger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who is opening a brewery. He's got the licensing, recipes, location. Now he's looking for a hop farm to grow high quality hops. I have three questions:
1. will growing hops in different states produce different results? Example; if I grow cascade in Wisconsin and Michigan, will they taste different.

2. Which area in US will produce the best hops?

3. Anyone know any professional hop producers that they can recommend?

Thx all for any info... :rockin:

I can answer #1: In short, yes they will be different. Different growing conditions will always produce different results, and it's not just about states either. The end result may vary from county to county or even field to field. Will the difference be noticeable? Maybe, maybe not. when I experimented, I could tell the difference between Pacific NW grown Cascade and my homegrown SC Cascade, it was very subtle, it was a more herbal flavor but definitely still identifiable as Cascade. Keep in mind that crops will change year-to-year as well, again, the conditions determine the outcome. There is a reason the Pacific NW is our country's main growing region: naturally ideal conditions. What's the location? If your friend wants to go local, I say go for it! hops grow all over, even outside of their ideal zones. Not to mention the marketing opportunities and efficiency involved with local sourcing

I can answer #1: In short, yes they will be different. Different growing conditions will always produce different results, and it's not just about states either. The end result may vary from county to county or even field to field. Will the difference be noticeable? Maybe, maybe not. when I experimented, I could tell the difference between Pacific NW grown Cascade and my homegrown SC Cascade, it was very subtle, it was a more herbal flavor but definitely still identifiable as Cascade. Keep in mind that crops will change year-to-year as well, again, the conditions determine the outcome. There is a reason the Pacific NW is our country's main growing region: naturally ideal conditions. What's the location? If your friend wants to go local, I say go for it! hops grow all over, even outside of their ideal zones. Not to mention the marketing opportunities and efficiency involved with local sourcing

His brewery is in Chicago and he's looking at both Wisconsin and Michigan. He will contract the grower for ten year commitment. The dudes loaded so money means nothing to him.

1. Yes but not due to soil. Its due to climate and growing conditions like roastquake said. The amount of water, temperature, humidity, stress from insects...these all cause the plants to produce different chemicals that may affect the flavor.

I say "may" because the biggest factor is how they are dried and processed. If you do the standard 140F drying, most of the subtle oils will be gone by the end of the drying cycle and it will somewhat standardize the flavor. If you dry them with cooler temperatures (under 100F), more of those oils/aroma stick around, both "good" and "bad".

2. The PNW's advantage is that they are growing in a desert, so there is less stress from mold, mildew and insects. It makes it easier. What region makes the best? Man, that's like asking what's the best beer out there. Ask 50 people and you will get 51 answers. It depends on what the top criteria are. Is it "local"? Is it price? (then PNW wins) Is it organic? (go MI or New Zealand.) You can grow fine tasting hops just about anywhere. You can profitably grow hops just about anywhere in the northern hop growing band. It really comes down to managing your crop in the field and how you treat it once harvest begins.

3. Send me a message. Our organization has growers in WI, MI and even IL. Also try the Michigan Hop Alliance, Northeast Hop Alliance, Great Lake Hops...there are several out there. Hit your favorite search engine and you will find lots of people offering hop growing consulting services. Once you've gone through all of them, go visit Ray (HBT username: Halifaxhops) and his farm. Just a warning, he's claimed that all visitors have to skinny dip in his pond.

His brewery is in Chicago and he's looking at both Wisconsin and Michigan. He will contract the grower for ten year commitment. The dudes loaded so money means nothing to him.

I would advise against a contract. If your buddy really wants to have that level of control, he would be best to buy the land, pony up the cash for infrastructure and hire a professional to manage the farm. Maybe make the farm manager a part owner or give him a % based on harvest.

Also, I've seen a lot of people put A LOT of money into farms that have still gone bust...we're talking 6 to 7 figures. The problem is you can't buy a solution to every problem you have. What he needs is someone with time and talent, again, that professional farm manager who is willing to put in the hard time in return for proper compensation.

BTW, is he close to downtown? I'm looking for a brewery, preferably close to or inside the loop, for a tour I'm throwing together.

They are just now starting construction of brewery after finally getting all the Chicago red tape out of the way. He hopes the location is opened by spring 2015 but it is underway.

There are a number of hop growers in the Chicagoland area. I know of one of Oswego and I know that Chicago Brew Werks owner Brandon runs a hard yard. They should both be checked out to support local businesses. Good luck.

Back