Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDMHB5

Reaction score
So I'm a fairly new homebrewer, using Imperial Yeast's A38 Juice for an NEIPA this weekend for the first time. I'm wondering if I should propagate a starter for it? My target post boil OG is 1.067. I appreciate any help!

Actually, looking at how many cells you would need for a 5 gallon batch at 1.067 and a typical pitching rate of 0.75 million/mL degrees Plato, you should need about 232 billion cells. I know Imperial claims about 200 billion cells per pack, so if you had 100% of your cells alive, you would be slightly under pitching. If I were you, I would prep a small starter to build up your numbers a bit

Actually, looking at how many cells you would need for a 5 gallon batch at 1.067 and a typical pitching rate of 0.75 million/mL degrees Plato, you should need about 232 billion cells. I know Imperial claims about 200 billion cells per pack, so if you had 100% of your cells alive, you would be slightly under pitching. If I were you, I would prep a small starter to build up your numbers a bit
Ok, thanks! I was leaning towards doing a 1L starter. I'm actually doing a 5.5 gallon batch to make up for some trub loss from the dry hopping. I don't know the exact production date of the yeast off the top of my head, but I got it yesterday and it was dated somewhere in the middle of April. Thanks for making those calculations for me! I suppose I probably could have done that myself haha. Having never used Imperial Yeast, I wanted to get a second opinion though.

Thanks Again!

Back