Imperial yeast A24 fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
I recently pitched a packet of imperial yeasts A24 (dry hop) strain into a 5 gallon batch of 1.073 og wort. The fermentation took off quickly but now on day 6, the beer looks extremely cloudy and powdery.

Is this normal for this strain? It appears as if there is alot of yeast/hop/trub floating around instead of flocculating to the bottom. In my years of brewing ive never seen anything like it . Anyone have experience with this yeast? Should I let it go for another week and see if it clears Up? Thanks!

not used that particular yeast - but I wouldn't worry for a few weeks - if you're on day 6 it's so early on in ferment it's likely too early to read anything in to things - unless it's going like an outboard motor or it's not even started - then it might need some concern

sounds like a good ferment in progress to me

not used that particular yeast - but I wouldn't worry for a few weeks - if you're on day 6 it's so early on in ferment it's likely too early to read anything in to things - unless it's going like an outboard motor or it's not even started - then it might need some concern

sounds like a good ferment in progress to me

Thanks for the comment. I guess i got too used to being able to turn a pale ale or IPA around in 7 to 10 days, I got impatient.

Imperial A24 is a blend of two yeast, both not very good flocculators. The blend will however produce extremely good/juicy IPAs. Yes, it's a blend specifically made - at least for me - for New England / soft / juicy / hazy style beers.

But at 6 days, not many yeast will produce a " clear " wort. Usually, it takes a bit more than 6 days and if you really want quick, clear beers, I would brew lower ABV beers and use a highly flocculating yeast, like the Fuller's strain.

Imperial A24 is a blend of two yeast, both not very good flocculators. The blend will however produce extremely good/juicy IPAs. Yes, it's a blend specifically made - at least for me - for New England / soft / juicy / hazy style beers.

But at 6 days, not many yeast will produce a " clear " wort. Usually, it takes a bit more than 6 days and if you really want quick, clear beers, I would brew lower ABV beers and use a highly flocculating yeast, like the Fuller's strain.

Thanks for the heads up. Even after 15 days, the yeast stayed suspended until I transferred to a secondary for dry hopping. It tastes and smells great, though I lost about a 3/4 gallon of beer from the poorly compacted yeast cake!

I've brewed two IPAs with sach trois (WLP644) and had a similar experience. It took off like crazy at first, but then slowed down considerably after a couple of days. After a week the SG was still ~1.02-1.03, and (as expected) with lots of yeast in suspension. It seems sach trois needs a bit more time than other yeasts to get the job done, but the final result has been great.

Would I need to use a different set of equipment when using this yeast like you would with Brett?

Back