Quantcast

Imperial Stout

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So I tried my first Imperial Stout last night, and I am wondering if this would be an example of a "big beer". It felt really heavy and malty, but was extremely delicious! Wondering what others think about them?

Jason

landhoney

Reaction score
Definitely a 'big beer', I love the style. Brewed a few, and my advice if you brew one/many is to keep some around for the long haul. They keep improving with age.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Which one was it? Old Rasputin is my favorite. There is such a depth of flavor to them. Chocolate, Coffee, Figs, Raisins, Toast, Burnt Caramel...

I should have one of mine right now...

Iordz

Reaction score
I like RIS once in a while, but I find most too sweet for my taste. I had high expectations for Ale Smith's Speedway Stout, but it fell short, it was just too sweet for me.

CBBaron

Reaction score
Jayfro21 said:
So I tried my first Imperial Stout last night, and I am wondering if this would be an example of a "big beer". It felt really heavy and malty, but was extremely delicious! Wondering what others think about them?

Jason
RIS is an example of a big beer. Most are 8% ABV or better. However they are very different from some other big beers like Barleywines, Belgian Strong Ales and IIPAs.

Craig

CBBaron

Reaction score
Iordz said:
I like RIS once in a while, but I find most too sweet for my taste. I had high expectations for Ale Smith's Speedway Stout, but it fell short, it was just too sweet for me.
I really like RIS. Many are very sweet but some can be dryer with a strong roast and/or hops bitterness. I have one I'm starting to drink now and I'm planning on brewing the 08.08.08 RIS sometime in the next month.
Craig

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
It is right among my top styles. I find it to be nearly everything I want a beer to be. Even to the point that if I drink enough of them they will hold up half of a conversation, which is nice when you drink alone as much as I do.

They are definately on the big side. I had Bell's RIS over Thanksgiving. It was very nice but neded more age. It also had a lot of slundge in the bottom of the bottles. Maybe pushed a little in production?

malvado78

Reaction score
They're big-uns, alright! Big, roasty, warm, and complex. I'm a big fan of that style, but a little can go a long way.

TL
And alot can go a ... longer way...

EDIT: LOL at old posts in the similar threads. Sorry.