Imperial Stout yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wterry

Reaction score
What works best with an imperial stout.....OG 1.09? I used US-05 for OG of 1.08 and ended at 1.022. Seems US-05 always ends with an ABV of 1.022-24 when starting with an OG of 1.08.

Is this the nature of the yeast, I wonder or maybe just me....I have let the fermenting go for 3 weeks for several batches with orig graviety 1.08 ending with 1.024 give or take a point.

I do hydrate and use 2 pkgs.

What works best with an imperial stout.....OG 1.09?

I link WLP001 for big stouts. US-05 is similar.

I used US-05 for OG of 1.08 and ended at 1.022. Seems US-05 always ends with an ABV of 1.022-24 when starting with an OG of 1.08.

It sounds like you were expecting more attenuation. Without details, my guess is that your attenuation is probably right about where it should be, given the fermentability of a typical stout wort. What FG were you expecting, and why?

Using a recipe I found that actually said should be hitting 1.085-89 and ending 1.016-1.020. No particular reason why other than that, but kinda of figured it would end in the recipe range. I do like the beer and am going to brew it again, probably this weekend.

If you can provide you grain bill percentages, mash temp, and mash length, I can estimate where this ought to end up with US-05.

BIAG...mashed at 152 for 90 minutes
15.25 lbs MO
3.5 other
Raise the temp to 167 and hold for 10 minutes, the hang and drain the bag...do a bit of squeezing.
The boil for 90 minutes give or take ending with about 6.25 gals wort.

1.25 lbs chocolate briess 350L
.75 crystal 60L
.75 gold swaen 75L
.75 caramel 30L

With your grain bill, mash temp, mash length, yeast strain, and an OG of 1.080, BrewCipher predicts an FG of 1.019 (75.8% apparent attenuation). It looks like the recipe was calling for 79.3% apparent attenuation (using the middles of the recipe's OG and FG ranges), but I'd say that's unlikely to happen.

Thanks for the response. I guess I am getting as good as it can get.

I'm sure US-05 will make for a decent American sweet stout but frankly it's almost free of character where alternatives can be enhancing.
fwiw, I prefer S04 in that regard. Essentially the same performance specs as US-05 wrt alcohol tolerance and attenuation, but with some english character...

Cheers!

Has anyone tried K1V-1116 wine yeast? It's one of the few wine yeast that can ferment maltotriose. It also has really good alcohol tolerance. I have used it for beer before and thought it did okay. It is kind of ester-y. That might work better in a stout than in the pilsner/Sterling SMASH that I brewed.

I used US-05 for my first RIS and Mangrove Jack M42 ever since. My last RIS was OG 1.118. I pitched 4 packs of hydrated M42 and it raced down to FG 1.021. So that’s about 82% attenuation. So I’m a big fan of M42 as it makes great RIS.

The secret for mine when making high OG RIS is pitching lots and lots and lots of yeast, and hydrating the dry yeast before pitching which leads to better attenuation.

Not to throw a curveball but I use Saflager 34/70 for my RIS. The first time I used US-05 it threw some crazy fruity esters that made it undrinkable. I have temperature control but the fermentation took off and got too hot for my fridge to keep up.

After that, I started using 34/70 and fermenting at 55 degrees and let it take it’s time.

Back