Imperial Stout grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott1147

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm looking to do an Imperial Stout here so that it is ready for the winter months. I'm just looking for some feedback on the grain bill -

Five Gallon batch -
11 lbs - 2-row Pale Malt, UK
5 lbs - Golden Promise
2 lbs - flaked barley
1 lb. - Belgian Candy Sugar Dark
1 lb. - American Crystal 60L
1 lb. - Special B Malt
8 oz. - roasted Barley
8 oz. - Chocolate Malt
8 oz. - Black patent malt
22.5 lbs. total

Will look at hops later when I get time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Looks great to me. I do have one suggestion - and you can take it for what it's worth - instead of using 1 lb of crystal 60, try using 1/2 lb of crystal 120 and 1/2 lb of crystal 40. It's hard to explain completely, but it provides sort of a layered texture/flavor profile to the crystal addition that is not achieved by a single crystal addition. Other than that it's actually not too far off my big boy bourbon stout that I brew. Cheers.

Thanks for the input. I'll add that in to the bill. For hops I was thinking 2 oz. of Columbus at 90 minutes, but I'm at a loss for addition hops. My understanding is that a lot of those aroma hops get lost in the aging process. Any ideas on those additive hops?

Back