Imperial Stout - First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Trying to pull together some ideas into my own recipe. This is my first recipe from scratch, so im definitely open to feedback on it. I like rich smokey porters, and I thought adding the Peat Malt would add a touch, but im not 100% familiar with the grain, so I dont know if its going to add to or take away from this.

Note: working on my efficiency, but right now its right around 64% so I upped the base grain to account for it.

Estimated Efficiency: 64%
Estimated OG: 10.097
Estimated IBU: 101
Estimated Color: 47.6 SRM
Estimated ABV: 10.5%
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Boil: 60 Minutes

Grains:
18 lbs Maris Otter
10 oz Chocolate Malt
10 oz Crystal 60L
10 oz Black Patent Malt
5 oz Roasted Barley
5 oz Peat Smoked Malt

Hops:
1 oz Warrior - 60 minute Boil
1 oz Chinook - 60 minute Boil
1/2 oz Warrior - 15 minute Boil
1/2 oz Warrior - 10 minute Boil

Yeast:
California Ale Yeast (WLP001)

Looking forward to tips and suggestions! :rockin:

I would discourage you from using peated malt. It isn't really intended for brewing (though some certainly use it) and in my opinion imparts an acrid and unpleasant note. Opinions vary, of course, and try it if you'd like, but I much prefer beech smoked malts if you want to get a smoky flavour.

I've enjoyed some beers made with peat smoked malt. From the recipes I've seen, 5oz is definitely, or a bit above, the place to start.

Be aware,if brewing "to style" is something you care about, the BJCP is pretty much this, as of 2015.

Back