Imperial stout/black ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcarter1227

Reaction score
I put together a recipe for a black ipa/imperial stout recipe/ This will be a 2.5 experimental batch.

Anyone feedback would be greatly appreciated.

OG 1.089
FG 1.024
abv 8.7%
Eff 75%
6.5lbs pale 2 row
.5lbs crystal 120
.5lbs Melanoiden Malt
4oz flaked oats
4oz roasted barley
4oz chocolate malt

Ibu 71

.5o oz norther brewer 60 min
.50 oz centenial 30 min
.75 oz amarillo 15 min
.75oz cascade flameout
1 oz citra dryhop 7 days

yeast s-04

also would there be a way to make this into a partygyle style beer, have an imperial stout/black ipa first runnings and resparge to get a small stout?

again thanks in advance

Maybe it's me, but I can't see how an imperial stout and a IBA (India Black Ale, for those who don't know - I'm a bitter, old curmudgeon and refuse to call them Black India Pale Ales) are similar in anything but color. Doing this partigyle style will probably get you something like a roasty porter with the second runnings, if I had to guess. It could be quite good, but you definitely have a stout recipe going there.

Try Goose Island's "Night Stalker" if you haven't already. You're probably going to get a smaller, less roasty version of that, if I had to guess. I just want you to know what you're getting yourself into.

I love night stalker, its funny cause I guess I did go more the stout route. I was tweaking a clone on here for deschutes "hop in the dark" which they refer to as a CDA although Indian Black Ale would also work fine, any way back on topic, I started with that plugged all the ingredients into my beer calc and then started playing around dropping certain ingredients and adding others to get it to my taste and it evolved into a imperial stout.

Heres the link and obviously you have my recipe up top.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/deschutes-hop-dark-180745/

Thanks for the input about the partygyle. Porter is probably my fav style next to Bohemian Pilsner.

There's no real way to blend these two styles, as they're pretty far apart and based on different things - one's supposed to be crisp, easy-drinking, moderate-highly carbonated, a touch of roastyness, and dry, the other's thick, roasty, fruity, and sweet with low-moderate carbonation. It's like trying to make a Quad saison or a Pilsner barleywine. You can combine elements if you want to make something new, but trying to serve both masters can't be done in this case.

Imperial stouts are often quite hoppy. Check out Victory's Storm King for a really good example. You can just go with a RIS and hop the hell out of it in the boil and afterwards.

Back