Imperial Rye IPA recipe attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicineMan

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to all grain, I have only done 3 batches which have all been kits. This is my first attempt at making my own recipe, constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

16lbs domestic 2 row pale malt
2lbs Rye malt
1lb caramel
3oz Chocolate malt

2oz Chinook @60
2oz Citra @45
2oz Centennial @30
2oz Cascade @15
1oz Cascade @10
1oz Cascade @5
4oz Cascade @0

Dry Hop with 4oz Cascade whole leaf for 7 days

yeast- white labs WLP001

assuming this is for a five gallon batch that looks pretty good, although my preference would be to up the rye a little. and for the caramel malt i would keep it a very light one either 10 or 20 L, since you are going to have a relatively high final gravity regardless.

I am not sure how much the citra will add as an early addition, you already have some good bittering hops in there. It is my opinion that early versions of recipes should be as simple as possible, so that when tasting it is easier to see what each ingredient adds / what you might want to change.

this is my opinion take it for what it is worth.

-chickens

How much rye would you recommend?

In my RyePA I use 3.25 lbs in a 14.25 lb. grain bill so that is 22%. I can't seem to detect much rye flavor but I entered a comp and the 2 comments I got were "rye really bumps up the assertiveness" and "nice rye aroma". I've had other commercial rye beers that weren't all that flavorful so maybe it's just me. The only really great rye flavored beer I've had was at Short's Brewery called Bludgeon Yer Eye and the bartender told me it was 85% rye!:rockin:

Just make sure you add some rice hulls or you will have a very long day.

I would think you would want about 20-25% of the grain bill to be Rye. Especially if you are doing an Imperial, because you don't want the Rye spiceness to be hidden by an alcho-strenght that may be present.

Latest posts

Back