Imperial Red IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMonkeyshine

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Long time homebrewer, frequent lurker, infrequent poster...

I'm working on a recipe based on Stone's 13th Anniversary Ale (http://www.stonebrew.com/13th/ale/)

We started with the recipe they list in their book "The Craft of Stone Brewing", but then adjusted it a bit, lowered the ABV by a little, adjusted hops and grains accordingly, and converted to extract with steeping grains.

I'd love some input from others! Thanks!

5 gallon batch, 4 gallon total boil volume (steeping grains with 2.5 gallons, then topping off kettle to 4 for rest of boil)

90 Minute Boil

Fermentables:
11 Lbs LME (light/golden)

Grains, steeped @150F for 30 minutes:

8 oz Vienna
6 oz C60
6 oz C120
4 oz C80
4 oz Dark Munich
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley

Hops:
3 oz Chinook @90 minutes
1.5 oz Chinook @20 minutes
2.5 oz Chinook @0, whirlpool/hop stand for 30 minutes

Dry Hop #1:
2 oz each Centennial and Simcoe for 6 days
Dry Hop #2:
1 oz each Centennial and Simcoe for 6 days

WLP 007

Calculated OG: 1.086
Estimated FG: 1.019-1.022 (75-78% attenuation)
Estimated ABV: 8.5-8.8%
Estimated IBU: 120
IBU/OG: 1.39
SRM: 22

A quick note on my changes from the Stone recipe:
Less extract for slightly lower ABV
Vienna instead of CaraVienna for a little less Crystal Malt
Addition of 2 oz roasted barley for a deeper/darker red
Hops split up to have a 20 minute addition for more hop flavor

Any thoughts/input greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this recipe. My father-in-law and I brewed this a few weeks ago and just cracked it open a couple days ago and love it.

I'd like to brew this. Looks great, but whenever I add 4 oz of chocolate malt, it turns my beer more of a brown color than red. I think I might use 2 oz of chocolate (depending on the lovibond) and leave out the roasted barley. Let us know how it turns out for you>

I would love a good imperial red ipa. I love G'Knight by Oskar Blues. Never tried the Stone version. Let me know how it turns out and if you give the green light, I'll head right on down to Merrimon Ave and pick up my grains! ha. cheers:mug:

Back