Imperial Porter Recipe Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benoj

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm getting ready to brew an Imperial Porter-ish type beer. I'm shooting for something with a nice complex malt bill (but not hugely roasty) - with some chocolate/vanilla/raisin/plumb notes.

I haven't made a beer this big or used english hops yet - would be great if I could get some feedback on the recipe from someone who has made this style(ish) of beer before:

Link: (Brewfather) or pasted info below:

10.0% / 23.3 °P

Batch Volume: 23 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 23.96 L
Sparge Water: 10.13 L
Total Water: 34.09 L
Boil Volume: 28 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.087

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.098
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU (Tinseth): 76
Colour: 154 EBC

Mash

Temperature — 65 °C60 min

Malts (9.01 kg)
6.32 kg (70.1%) — Crisp Maris Otter — Grain — 7.9 EBC
910 g (10.1%) — Crisp Chocolate — Grain — 1240 EBC
460 g (5.1%) — Dingemans Special B — Grain — 290 EBC
320 g (3.6%) — Simpsons Oats Golden Naked — Grain — 18 EBC
280 g (3.1%) — Crisp Black — Grain — 1340 EBC
280 g (3.1%) — Simpsons Crystal DRC — Grain — 300 EBC
280 g (3.1%) — Crisp Crystal Dark — Grain — 148 EBC
160 g (1.8%) — Simpsons Aromatic Malt — Grain — 60 EBC

Hops (284 g)
100 g (34 IBU) — Fuggle 4.5% — Boil — 60 min
46 g
(13 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 30 min
46 g
(12 IBU) — Fuggle 4.5% — Boil — 30 min
46 g
(9 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 15 min
46 g
(8 IBU) — Fuggle 4.5% — Boil — 15 min

Yeast
2 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) Verdant IPA 77%

Thanks,

Ben

The grain bill looks good ..and tasty. The yeast selection is kinda out of left field. I would suggest Nottingham for that high OG and style.

You are looking for a complex malt bill or complex malt flavor character? You certainly have a complex grain bill but that is not necessary to achieve a complex malt character.

A combination of pale malt, brown malt and amber malt... perhaps a small amount of black malt or crystal 60L makes for a nice, rich porter. I tend to use no more than 4 of those malts in any given batch of porter. Those are very traditional grains to use btw and would work very well with your hops which are also all very traditional.

The yeast selection is kinda out of left field. I would suggest Nottingham for that high OG and style.

Yeah that’s actually intentional - the yeast is supposed to impart a vanilla like character and I thought it might be nice with the style. They also say it can be used for a stout recipe even though it’s called “IPA” yeast.

You are looking for a complex malt bill or complex malt flavor character? You certainly have a complex grain bill but that is not necessary to achieve a complex malt character.

sorry that was a mistake I did mean malt character rather than an overly complexly malt bill

I love the hop additions. I grow and use Fuggles and Golding often and really like their soft hop character. Should go well in a stout as you won't want the biting flavor of something more powerful to take away from your recipe

Back