Imperial peanut butter cup stout yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Getting my legs under me just bottled a delicious IPA yesterday for my 4th batch. Maybe getting the hang of some of this??

for part of my summer plan I want to make a pumpkin ale (more on that later) and the northern brewer peanut butter cup stout.

So I have no temp control. So far I’ve always planned around that. I use a lot of Kviek Voss. Will this be good for the PB cup stout? It’s about 65 in the basement now and in the dead of summer can raise to 68. Looking to have this done for October so I can geak out to Halloween with a trick or treat beverage.

WY1450 would be great for that as well. I use that in my choc/PB milk stout. Although, the top of the temp range for that yeast is 70 and if your basement is 68, you'll climb past that. Never ran that yeast that high so not sure what would happen.

WY1450 would be great for that as well. I use that in my choc/PB milk stout. Although, the top of the temp range for that yeast is 70 and if your basement is 68, you'll climb past that. Never ran that yeast that high so not sure what would happen.
Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of. I could try to cool it via swamp cooler to something but I brew at my dads house instead of my tiny apartment that has in-laws living… Rant for another day I suppose.

At that rate I’d feel a little more comfortable with hothead or Lutra. Maybe Voss. But only hot head is available at my lhbs and I don’t want to order liquid yeast in the summer. Not for a big bad imperial anyway.

I'm about to use S-05 for the first time and so will admit no experience, but after tons of reading, yes, you'd... let's say "probably prefer" low 60's for it.

1056 and 1450 would be great stout yeasts though, some will say 1056 is boring but w/ this particular stout you might well prefer the yeast not bring anything to the party.

Silly idea - can you ferment in a large watertight container? A round plastic garbage can of decent size, even a bathtub? Those high fermentation temps totally happen but I've found they begin around 24 hours and last for an additional 48 tops. I do however pitch plenty of yeast, underpitching and other scenarios may take longer to get going or to finish.

Since you have used Kveik a few times, you can actually ask yourself if you should use it. Have you been able to detect its flavor and if so did you like it?

I'm about to use S-05 for the first time and so will admit no experience, but after tons of reading, yes, you'd... let's say "probably prefer" low 60's for it.

1056 and 1450 would be great stout yeasts though, some will say 1056 is boring but w/ this particular stout you might well prefer the yeast not bring anything to the party.

Silly idea - can you ferment in a large watertight container? A round plastic garbage can of decent size, even a bathtub? Those high fermentation temps totally happen but I've found they begin around 24 hours and last for an additional 48 tops. I do however pitch plenty of yeast, underpitching and other scenarios may take longer to get going or to finish.

Since you have used Kveik a few times, you can actually ask yourself if you should use it. Have you been able to detect its flavor and if so did you like it?
In a chocolate stout no, or maybe…. Then it faded. In the ipa I bottled holy orange Batman! But it was delicious. My hot head cider nothing unusual.

I was thinking s-05 seems to be a pretty standard stout yeast but I feel like I’m right up against temp issues.

You could use US 05. Fermentis has it listed as 82F as the top. You'd be fine with that one I think.

EDIT: As long as you aren't planning on going over 10%. I've tried it a couple of times in what was going to be an 11% and it crapped out on me both times.

Silly idea - can you ferment in a large watertight container? A round plastic garbage can of decent size, even a bathtub?

I do have a big plastic tub I might be able to ferment in. Problem is I really can’t keep an eye on it since I brew at my parents house. My apartment is tiny and we have in-laws living here.

Crazy idea…NB recommends 2 packets.
What if I pitched a packet of each? Something traditional and a Kviek?

It won't be bad, but I think you'll just get whichever one goes faster and / or has the stronger character. It's interesting, and OK, but not going to solve your problem at all.

hmm. My thought was to pitch it cooler and the saf 05 would start out clean and then as ambient temps and fermentation warmed the ale the Kviek just steam rolls everything left before the saf-05 can get off flavors. And with a good chunk fermented clean there wouldn’t be any of that citrus left, which was slight to begin with.

If you staggered them, it could work. You would almost certainly be overpitching but it probably won't hurt.

Again though if the heat thing is an issue, you still have the issue w/ the S-05 doing most of the fermentation in the space you say you can't cool. That's what I mean about not solving the problem. At least as I understand it.

If you staggered them, it could work. You would almost certainly be overpitching but it probably won't hurt.

Again though if the heat thing is an issue, you still have the issue w/ the S-05 doing most of the fermentation in the space you say you can't cool. That's what I mean about not solving the problem. At least as I understand it.

I get it. Honestly unless I build a fermentation chamber I’ll probably just use Kviek. Seems to have suited me well so far. If I can I’ll go lutra. If not hothead seems like a good idea too.

US-05 will be fine for that beer. I use US-05 on my RIS that finishes around 14%. Just one packet does it all.

Those basement temps are fine for that beer. If you are using carboys, you can try some evaporative cooling. Put your carboy in a large tub of water and cover it with a t-shirt. It will wick up the water and evaporation will cool it some.

US-05 will be fine for that beer. I use US-05 on my RIS that finishes around 14%. Just one packet does it all.

Those basement temps are fine for that beer. If you are using carboys, you can try some evaporative cooling. Put your carboy in a large tub of water and cover it with a t-shirt. It will wick up the water and evaporation will cool it some.

I'm surprised by this. I've tried US 05 3 times on what should have been 11-12% and it always crapped out on me way too early. Could never get it to finish.

Tried Notty last time and it worked beautifully. That'll be my go to from now on.

US-05 is pretty hardy and ABV tolerant. My RIS will sit for 30 days in primary and then get kegged with up to 2# of pure maple syrup and sit/finish for a few months while the yeast clean up the syrup. Maybe your too impatient? Your not gonna turn a high OG beer around in a couple weeks.

US-05 is pretty hardy and ABV tolerant. My RIS will sit for 30 days in primary and then get kegged with up to 2# of pure maple syrup and sit/finish for a few months while the yeast clean up the syrup. Maybe your too impatient? Your not gonna turn a high OG beer around in a couple weeks.
Ha. No. I'm not impatient. I had legit stalled fermentations. Gravity didn't change for weeks on end. Double dosed the beer with oxygen as well on the 2nd and 3rd attempts, thinking I didn't give it enough oxygen on the first. Tried pitching active starters at high krausen and rehydrated US-05 trying to get it started. Nothing worked. US-05 just didn't get there for me.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just sharing my experience with it.

Last edited:
I'm finding my first S-05 in an RIS to be interesting. Threw in 2 packs (that had ~ 2 years remaining before their expiration and were refrigerator kept). Beer started at 1.106, 5 gallons, and at 60 F. I thought I'd get a rocking fermentation but after like 2 days (I brewed it Wednesday morning and it's currently Friday morning) I've got what I'd call "some" krausen and activity but so far a fraction, maybe 1/3, of what I'd have with liquid.

It's a bit off topic but just trying to throw a data point at the S-05 question as it pertains to imperial stouts.

The more I read the more I want to stick with Lutra which I checked and my lhbs carries. I wanted to branch out but between worrying about off flavor from a boarder line temp and not finishing the high gravity beer I think that’s the smart choice by now.

Follow up question that is kinda a dumb newbie one. But as soon as it finishes I’m good to bottle? I just want this opened and done in October. I don’t mind bottle aging if I have too. Plus it opens up a carboy.

The more I read the more I want to stick with Lutra which I checked and my lhbs carries. I wanted to branch out but between worrying about off flavor from a boarder line temp and not finishing the high gravity beer I think that’s the smart choice by now.

Follow up question that is kinda a dumb newbie one. But as soon as it finishes I’m good to bottle? I just want this opened and done in October. I don’t mind bottle aging if I have too. Plus it opens up a carboy.
You should be good. Just make sure it's truly done, don't want any bottle bombs or anything. Take a couple of gravity readings spaced a couple of days apart each and as long as gravity isn't moving, you're good.

You should be good. Just make sure it's truly done, don't want any bottle bombs or anything. Take a couple of gravity readings spaced a couple of days apart each and as long as gravity isn't moving, you're good.
Ok thanks. Yeah that’s another reason I want to Use the Kviek. It finishes quickly. I mean I desperately want to explore but I also want my beers to be amazing. I’ll keep posted at time goes on. Doing a hefe this weekend which will be my first non Kviek.

Ok thanks. Yeah that’s another reason I want to Use the Kviek. It finishes quickly. I mean I desperately want to explore but I also want my beers to be amazing. I’ll keep posted at time goes on. Doing a hefe this weekend which will be my first non Kviek.
Good luck on the hefe. Just did our first one last weekend. It was a fun brew!

I'm finding my first S-05 in an RIS to be interesting. Threw in 2 packs (that had ~ 2 years remaining before their expiration and were refrigerator kept). Beer started at 1.106, 5 gallons, and at 60 F. I thought I'd get a rocking fermentation but after like 2 days (I brewed it Wednesday morning and it's currently Friday morning) I've got what I'd call "some" krausen and activity but so far a fraction, maybe 1/3, of what I'd have with liquid.

It's a bit off topic but just trying to throw a data point at the S-05 question as it pertains to imperial stouts.
60 is a bit low IMO...I run US-05 at 68. Yes it takes a couple days before it kicks off in my RIS. But it will take it from well over .1xx all the way to expected FG range. Just 1 packet. Give it 30 days before kegging or secondary. Bottle at 30 days it probably ain't done yet...it's still working...patience grasshopper...

And my RIS krausen is low too

60 is a bit low IMO...I run US-05 at 68. Yes it takes a couple days before it kicks off in my RIS. But it will take it from well over .1xx all the way to expected FG range. Just 1 packet. Give it 30 days before kegging or secondary. Bottle at 30 days it probably ain't done yet...it's still working...patience grasshopper...

And my RIS krausen is low too

Thanks. It took itself right up to 64 internally when it did really get going, and so I went ahead and set that as the target temperature which it has now been maintaining even as fermentation slows.

I'm so used to liquid yeast I figured the lower temp was good, and had read threads here about S-05 fermenting easily down in the 50's, so I shot for a low temperature. But of course today am reading that I might get peachy notes from it at cooler temps. Sigh, well, always learning.

Another thing I learned was - my new PET blow-off tubing, which I bought for the super low O2 ingress, is hard enough that even with a sturdy hose clamp on it, and being sure it was quite tight almost to the point of stripping, still wasn't getting a good grip around my stainless blow-off pipe that comes out of the carboy stopper. The moment I wrapped some electrical tape around that little junction I got rapid bubbling into my jar. So it was fermenting faster / earlier than I thought. Adding fermcap to it probably threw my perception as well just watching the krausen.

I'll have it sitting for at least a month before I keg it, probably more like 6 weeks which is about when I expect I'll need the carboy again. Once in the keg it'll sit until winter.

Hope this relates to the OP and helps regarding yeast usage! Not trying to take over the thread.

I'm so used to liquid yeast I figured the lower temp was good, and had read threads here about S-05 fermenting easily down in the 50's, so I shot for a low temperature. But of course today am reading that I might get peachy notes from it at cooler temps. Sigh, well, always learning.
My RIS is in the keg at 60' right now. I put maple syrup in the keg and this time put a press gauge on it. PSI kept rising so the yeast was munching away. I was a little worried that the keg at 60 would start putting them to sleep but they soldiered on.

Looking for one last piece of advice on my PB cup imperial. Kind of a silly one too. I would like to make it easy and by the NB extract kit but also it’s an expensive kit so anyone have an idea how I could do this partial mash? I have to decide today or tomorrow since I gotta brew soon.

Looks like either kit's about the same cost, plus the PB powder or whatever it is. You could copy the recipe list at another shop I'm sure but it might not be much cheaper if at all and feels like cheating a little. I think you're just going to find that it's an expensive recipe given the ingredients. My last Imperial Stout was $75 worth of ingredients. It's how it goes.

(When I say kits are same cost I mean that buying either grains or extract, and therefore a combo of them, will be similar in the end)

Posted this elsewhere too but wanted to keep updated.

Ok here’s what I went with

6lbs light DME
3lbs 2 row
1/2 lbs midnight wheat
1/2lbs chocolate
1lbs caramel L120
1/2 lbs oats.

Mashed 150 60min
BIAB
Mashed very light 5 gallons

Squeezed the bag not much of a sparge. Just a quick spritz with the dish hose. Really a no sparge and squirted for fun…. Got maybe a couple quarts though.

60min boil

1oz magnum at 60
Just threw some DME in there to “be sure” about having some sugar for the hops.

Rest of DME at about 15min

Ended up with about 4 gallons and topped off with cold water.

WLP001 pitched at about 70
Swamp cooler set up with wet t shirt and clip on fan.

Ambient temp is 72 hoping for good things.

Back