Imperial Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theis

Reaction score
18 lb 2 row
12 oz English Chocolate
4 Oz Caramel 120
12 oz roasted barley
2 lb rolled oats
1 lb rice hulls

5.5 gallon batch, 70% efficiency, estimated Og about 1.10

Hops
1.5 oz Nugget pellet 60 minute boil
1 oz Willamette at flameout
IBU about 40

Yeast
Couple of options:

1. Pitch on yeast cake from Us-o5 or Nottingham that are currently finishing up primary of session ales
2. US-04 with a 3/4 gallon starter

I'm basing this off Midwest's imperial stout recipe and adding oats and rice hulls. They recommend pitching champagne yeast in the secondary to increase attenuation- any thoughts?

Thanks.

Looks good to me. That 04 should give you a great malty flavor in the finished product.

I've had really good results with high grav beers using just a healthy starter and 02. I'd be reluctant to add champagne yeast because it might dry the beer out too much.

pitching the champagne yeast will dry the beer out making the oatmeal useless Because, i dont believe the dryness willnot accentuate the creaminess. I believe u are shooting for a sweet stout so forgo the champagne yeat and mash at around 157F that will give more complex sugars in your wort that cant be eaten by the yeast.
I wouldnt be worried about getting a higher ABV any way becae if u get it to around 10 percent you wouldnt want to drink it for at least six month.
Whereas a 7-8 percent beer will be just as enjoyable in less time

Back