Imperial Mint Chocolate Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
So, I'm using an extract kit - not yet, purchased and planning - to make an imperial stout. I read somewhere that someone had made a Mint Chocolate Stout with an all grain recipe. My question is how possible would it be to alter the canned extract to produce a Mint Chocolate Stout. Also, I'm aiming for a high gravity. The kit I have is Muntons Gold Imperial Stout. It says on the box the ABV approx is 4.5%. I also have an extra 3lb of 'Alexanders Dark Malt Extract' from my LHBS. This will only be my second brew (First is still in the primary, but I've already got the bug so I went and bought another secondary as well as a 32qt brew pot) and I have no idea what I need to do to try this out without sacrificing the quality of the beer itself. With all that being said, here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to add a mint chocolate touch to this extract kit?
2) The box has 2 cans totaling 6lb 6oz and I have an additional 3lb
of extract, any idea what my potential ABV will be?
3) What can I do to increase the gravity w/o comprimising quality?
4) The kit came with dry yeast. Based on what I'm trying to do, what
yeast would the more experienced suggest.

Thanks in advance!

1) Is it possible to add a mint chocolate touch to this extract kit?

No idea here

2) The box has 2 cans totaling 6lb 6oz and I have an additional 3lb
of extract, any idea what my potential ABV will be?

You are increasing your fermentables by 50%, so you should expect a 50% increase in ABV.

3) What can I do to increase the gravity w/o comprimising quality?

Add malt, not sugar.

4) The kit came with dry yeast. Based on what I'm trying to do, what
yeast would the more experienced suggest.

I have never used Muntons yeast, so I can not comment there. I have used S-05 and Nottingham for Stout with good results. Read up on Muntons and see if it can handle the ABV (probably).

Brew everything as planned, minus the mint.

AFTER the beer is done and carbonated, get a growler, jam some fresh mint leaves inside, maybe add just a hint of mint extract, and let it soak in the fridge for awhile.

I had a really amazing beer from a local brewery, a peppermint infused porter, this is how they did it (I think?)

The point being, don't ruin a whole batch by messing with mint in the boil or whatever. Experiment with the mint in small quantities after it's done, so if it sucks, no big waste.

**Make good and damn sure your beer is done fermenting before it goes in the growler! Growlers WILL explode!**

Brew everything as planned, minus the mint.

AFTER the beer is done and carbonated, get a growler, jam some fresh mint leaves inside, maybe add just a hint of mint extract, and let it soak in the fridge for awhile.

I had a really amazing beer from a local brewery, a peppermint infused porter, this is how they did it (I think?)

The point being, don't ruin a whole batch by messing with mint in the boil or whatever. Experiment with the mint in small quantities after it's done, so if it sucks, no big waste.

**Make good and damn sure your beer is done fermenting before it goes in the growler! Growlers WILL explode!**

I was thinking about something pretty similar to this - I had planned to get some mint extract and add it to the bottling bucket AFTER I'd already bottled all but about 6 bottles. I'd just mark those bottles separately and see how they turned out. Thoughts? How about for the chocolate? Already bubbling, so too late to add to wort.

i would think the chocolate and the mint would be done as if dry hopped. added to the fermenter after fermentation is complete?

i would think the chocolate and the mint would be done as if dry hopped. added to the fermenter after fermentation is complete?

I have tried "dry hopping" cocoa, and its an absolute waste of time. It lends nothing to beer, it just all settles out.

Last question on this one, hopefully...

Has anyone ever used mint extract in beer? I know the stuff is super strong, so I'm trying to figure out how much I'm gonna need for a 5 gallong batch. I don't want the flavor to be like mouthwash, more like a subtle mint finish. I plan to leave bottled for at least a month.

Back