Imperial Mild Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Matts Imperial Mild Stout

10 Gallon Batch
OG 1.053 / FG 1.016 / IBU 42 / SRM 40

15 lbs pale malt (british)
3 lbs Flaked Oats
2 lbs Roasted barley
1 lb Chocolate
.5 lbs Crystal 60L

1.5 oz Magnum (45)
1 oz Centennial (15)

S-04 yeast

155* mash for 45 min, 60 min boil, 63* ferment for 2 weeks and then keg.

I don't know what to think about this. It looks like a stout that isn't imperial nor is it a Mild. I think with that grainbill, OG, and IBUs it's just a regular stout.

For 10 gallons, it looks perfectly reasonably. I brew in 5 gal batches and I have a stout that I brew that is fairly similar (8 lbs Pale, 1 lb oats, .75 lb roasted, and .5 lb chocolate) and it turns out great. I don't know that .5 lb crystal in a 10 gallon batch will do much for you. I suspect you can drop it.

Should be good . . . but it isn't imperial nor is it a Mild

Color me confused. What are you trying to brew? That there looks to be a schizophrenic oatmeal stout.

I am thinking this is a jumbo shrimp, military intelligence kind of beer ;)

So call it what it is: Oxymoronic Stout :mug:

Edit: BTW, sounds great and should be delicious come next winter. If you can leave it alone :)

+1 On the confusion about what this is. I'm not saying its not what you want, but it is somewhat strange looking. Do you have a pic of the final brew?

On a more serious note - I think the floral notes of the Centennial is going to get lost in all that roastiness from the chocolate and roasted barley so I'd consider omitting it entirely.

Good call using a neutral, high AA variety like Magnum for your bittering charge, though I'm confused why you made it a 45 minute addition vs. 60.

Now, about that name....

I love Centennials in a nice American Stout. I've used them in a similar recipe and really liked it a lot.

It's been a while, but I ~think~ I remember Shakespeare Stout possibly using Centennials? Could be wrong on that.

Honestly, though, if the above used US grains and flaked barley and S-05, it'd be a normal looking American Stout to me. As is, I think the recipe will be quite good, personally. Who cares it doesn't fit a technical definition.

Adding the bittering charge rather late lets one get a desired IBU without using weird amounts of hops, like 1.18 oz Magnum at 60 minutes or something. Kick it up to 1.5 at 45 and yer done.

I think the recipe looks pretty yummy. Gonna have a LOT of body, thick and chewy. That's how I like oatmeal stout, so...

I'm SO not touching this name. [sticks fingers in ears] LALALALALALALALALA!

Bob

+1 with this looking like a normal stout. But since "Mild" and "Imperial" are complete opposite, I guess when you combine them you're left with "normal'???

Confusing. But, I'd call it beer too!

I have no problem with calling it beer either! :D I have a bitter at the moment that uses chocolate malt (Any Chocolate malt is too much for a bitter) It has a stoutish feel, but I still taste bitter......In the end, it's all beer!!! :)

Latest posts

Back