Imperial Juice Yeast-Beasty Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaisanMaisano

Reaction score
So I've used the Imperial Juice yeast for several beers now and every time I make a starter with it, damn thing climbs out of my Erlenmeyer flask making a friggin mess. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Get a bigger flask unless you're on 5L already, or set it in lower temperature.

Imperials are 200ml, so it will be more activity than WY/WL.

+1 ^
Fermcap-S to be precise, one drop per 2 liter is plenty. Keep the little bottle in the refrigerator. Shake well before use, but it takes some effort, it's thick.

Is the starter on a stir plate?
What size flask and how large is your total starter volume, including the yeast?

All options above will work fine. Another thought is not to make a starter or just a very small starter to insure active yeast at the time of the pitch. I have found under pitching imperial juice and dryhop really elevate their ester profile. This is all dependent on how fresh it is but since they are 200 billion cells a pack, it usually works out well

I have a 2000ml Erlenmeyer and I usually do a 1300 ml dme then pitch and utilize a stir plate. Time before last I used a foam stopper which it blew it off. This time I use sanitized foil draped over, not snug, and it still came out and made a mess. Never tried a fermcap. Sounds like a feasible solution though.

Thanks for all the input!

Back