Imperial IPA -- thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
I just threw this together. Planning to brew Wednesday. Thoughts?

1) Should I increase the Magnum addition in order to provide more IBUs earlier, or is that good?
2)Is the Munich amount (12oz) good enough? I know my Caramel amount is fine (from experience).
3) Corn sugar is used in order to bring it down to 1.012 instead of 1.018 (10.5% ABV)

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hoptivity 2: Overdrive
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.60 gal
Post Boil Volume: 8.06 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 7.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.092 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 130.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 85.1 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.3 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.2 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 7.4 %
3.25 oz Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 72.3 IBUs
2.50 oz Citra [14.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 32.6 IBUs
2.50 oz El Dorado [15.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 25.3 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [14.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz El Dorado [15.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz El Dorado [15.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 23 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 27.19 qt of water at 162.4 F 149.5 F 70 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.66gal) of 185.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of corn sugar, you could use brown sugar of some variety and get some flavor.

You might consider switching your 15- and 10-minute and flameout additions to first wort hopping. Might give you a more well-rounded aroma and flavor.

Post how it turns out.

You read my mind with FWH. I've been debating it ever since I started putting the hop additions into it. I bet the El Dorado late addition (before flameout) would be interesting as FWH, and Citra staying where it's at.

Brew one with the corn sugar and brew one with honey and compare the 2..

Brew one with the corn sugar and brew one with honey and compare the 2..

I just posted earlier today about having 13lbs of 2012 harvest left. I'm definitely going to be experimenting.

Tons and tons of hop bombs are in the pipeline.

My FWH experiments have been mixed so far. The couple beers I used only FWH and no bittering addition, and I felt those beers were a little under-bittered. They had appropriate IBU, but the bittering wasn't strong enough. They did have a killer aroma though.

If you do move some hops to FWH, make sure to keep some of your bittering addition.

Noted. I've pretty much got til Wed @ first wort collection to decide if I'm gonna FWH.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Munich malt? Usually I just do 2 row and C60 in my IPAs, but I'm trying to add a bit of malty backbone since it's so high-gravity.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Munich malt? Usually I just do 2 row and C60 in my IPAs, but I'm trying to add a bit of malty backbone since it's so high-gravity.

I love Munich malt, leave it as is.. Ya can always cut it back to half a pound instead of .75 if ya want..Ya also may wanna try victory or special roast malt If your not sure of the Munich.

I do an IPA that has victory and special roast in the grain bill....YUM!!!

Haha cool, I was actually worried that I needed MORE. But I think it'll be great as is, and good to heard confirmation of that. I'm so used to using 93/7 2row/C60, so it's nice to change it up.

Back