Imperial IPA Recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ishraider

Reaction score
Here is my ingredients i plan to use. This is a 10-11 gallon batch that i split into two carboys. Any input is appreciated especially with my hop schedule.

28lbs American Pale Ale 2-Row
3lbs Gambrinus Munich Malt
1.5lbs Briess 60l Crystal Malt

I am going to use Nugget (13.2% alpha) and Amarillo (9.4% alpha) hops i bought a pound of each (cheaper) but don't plan to use that much. I was thinking 12 ounces total. 6.5 ounces of Amarillo and 5.5 ounces of Nugget. My hop schedule at moment is:

4 oz. Nugget for 60 min
2 oz. Amarillo for 45 min
1.5 oz Nugget for 30 min
1.5 oz Amarillo for 15 min
Dry hop 3 oz Amarillo (1.5 in each carboy)

Brew Target comes up with SG of 1.080 and IBU's of 104.6 and around 9% ABV. My last brew efficiency was 80% hopefully i get similar with this one.

Severely underhopped for an IPA at that batch size. For a 10.5 gallon batch, I'd use double your current 12 oz. hops. Boil wort for 90 minutes, adding first hop addition at 60, followed by additions at 30/0/DH.

Focus HEAVILY on 0 (7-9 oz) & DH (9-11 oz).

Thanks for the advice bob i will definately up the Hops big time. When i figure out the new hop schedule ill post.

Alright so heres the Final Recipe

28lbs 2 Row
1.5lbs Munich
12oz Crystal 60L

Hop Schedule:
4 oz Nugget at 60
3 oz Nugget at 35 (to help put IBU's over 100)
7 oz Amarillo at 0
7 total oz (split carboys) DH

Keep the percentages for the crystal and munich at 4-7% each. Though you can afford to use more munich than crystal in an IPA. For added dryness, mash low and think about the possibility of adding a small simple sugar addition. What yeast are you using?

The new hop schedule makes more sense. I would personally up the dryhops to 10 oz. total for an Imperial IPA.

The only other thing people might critique a little bit more is the necessity of a 35 minute addition. They may recommend anywhere from 15-30 instead of 35. But if 35 works out for you as an IBU adjustment then I think it's fine.

Back