Imperial IPA Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhotogBrewer

Reaction score
First post here. I have reading the forum often after I started brewing 18 months ago. I am working on a DIPA and have alot of Cascade and Chinook in the freezer that I would like to use up. Any problems or advice on how to improve this recipe?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Beaglenado DIPA
Brewer: PhotogBrewer
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 113.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.5 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.2 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.2 %
4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5 1.6 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 6.3 %
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 7 86.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 8 11.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 15.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP09 Yeast 13 -
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd personally get rid of the 45 and 30 minute additions. Maybe drop them down to a whirlpool addition (and probably add more at that time too).

I'm a hop junkie so I'd roll those two additions (30 and 45 min.) into the dry hop, I usually have about 4 oz. of whatever hops I'm using in the dry for my IPA's with doubles you can use even more. Also careful with the honey malt it can easily dominate. I like it and use it in most of my IPA's but lately I've cut back to about 4 oz. Still evident but not so "sweet."

Yeah, echoing the other comments, I generally don't get too much from a 45/30 minute contribution. Maybe making them a 5 minute addition (or just add to your flameout) would be a good route to go there.

Good luck!

I might try upping the Caramel 40L and lower the corn sugar. Will add better color and a little more sweet caramel flavor that I enjoy in IPAs, especially with the amount of hops you are using. Will balance it out a bit.

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal

Carefully check all of your volumes in Beersmith

You will have some loss in bottling and kettle to fermenter loss.

Not sure if you are doing 3V or BIAB, but getting your starting volumes and equipment profile correct will be more important than the exact hop timing.

Looks like a good recipe!

I recently brewed what I'm calling a "really dank IPA", after doing a lot of research on what people generally agreed on what "dank" means to them. I found several folks who favor Chinook in later additions, not in early ones. So mine was just

-- Bittering charge of Warrior (clean) at start of boil (60 min)
-- A bit of Chinook and Simcoe @ 20 min
-- Chinook, Simcoe, and CTZ at flameout/hop stand + dry hop.

I'd think about not adding your Chinook at the start of your 90 min boil, replace it by a more neutral bittering hop, and use the Chinook later (as others suggest too).

Back