Imperial IPA Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brand new to all grain brewing, looking to make an Imperial IPA next weekend. I'm going for a brew that has a good balance of mouth feel and citrusy and floral hop flavor/aroma, but still is within the style of an Imperial IPA without getting too close to Barleywine.

Appreciate any feedback and advise on this recipe.

Cheers!

14.0 lb (84%) Pale two-row
0.5 lb (3%) Crystal 120L
0.25 lb (1%) Munich
0.5 lb (3%) Carapils (dextrin)
1 lb (9%) Dextrose (corn) sugar

1.0 oz Centennial, 9.5-11.5% a.a. (90 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo, 8-11% a.a. (90 min)
1.0 oz Simcoe, 12-14% a.a. (90 min)
1.0 oz Simcoe, 12-14% a.a. (45 min)
1.0 oz Centennial, 9.5-11.5% a.a. (30 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo, 8-11% a.a. (30 min)
3.0 oz Citra, 11-13% (0 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo, 8-11% a.a. (0 min)
4.0 oz Citra, 11-13% (dry hop)
1.0 oz Amarillo, 8-11% a.a. (dry hop)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

Pre-Boil OG: 1.070
OG: 1.088
FG: 1.020
ABV: 8.98%
IBUs: 278
SRM: 10.1

Mash at 149°F for 60 minutes.

Boil for 90 minutes.

Ferment at 65°F.

Rack into secondary and dry hop 7 days at 68°F.

To keep it simple - I would drop the 120 in favor of a malt that is not quite so prominent flavor wise - like 40L

Additionally, I would move a lot of the boil additions later in the boil. It seems you like bitter. Hit about 50 with your bittering and move the rest of the hops to late additions (less than 20 min) to target probably 90ish IBU's. Next use some of the same hops in a 20 min hop stand when the wort has cooled to below isomerization temps (175°F), then cool to pitching temp.

that is just me. I prefer jucier over bitter.

I agree with the above advise and I'd also go as far as to not to transfer to secondary.

Yeah no need for c120. Either eliminate it and replace with more 2 row or use something around c60.

Great idea on sugar, it's needed with a DIPA to thin the mouthfeel out, otherwise it's easy to be too thick at that ABV.

Don't agree with the hop schedule. 90 minute additions are fine, but the 45 and 30 are unnecessary. Bitter to about 50% of your target IBU, and then pound the hell out of the kettle with hops 10 minutes and lower. Use a huge hopstand too. Don't have mercy with your late hop usage. It greatly increases batch expense, but it's the only way to get amazing flavor and aroma.

Yeah no need for c120. Either eliminate it and replace with more 2 row or use something around c60.

Great idea on sugar, it's needed with a DIPA to thin the mouthfeel out, otherwise it's easy to be too thick at that ABV.

Don't agree with the hop schedule. 90 minute additions are fine, but the 45 and 30 are unnecessary. Bitter to about 50% of your target IBU, and then pound the hell out of the kettle with hops 10 minutes and lower. Use a huge hopstand too. Don't have mercy with your late hop usage. It greatly increases batch expense, but it's the only way to get amazing flavor and aroma.

One good thought in there that you brought out and that should be explored - What is the IBU that thedudeabides_22 wants?

We all have different ways of getting our hop additions to work, but what is the objective here? My preference for IBU's in a Double IPA is about 65, but with a ton of hops added at low temps, so big juicy, citrusy hop flavor but softer edges on the bitterness. If thedude wants a firmly bitter version, then obviously he should use a different approach.

For me, 3 to 4 ounces in boil, 5 ounces hop stand at 160°F, and 6 oz in dry hop. Same hop qty as his recipe, but different attitude in the finished product.

Edited Recipe:

14.25 lb (85%) Pale two-row
0.5 lb (3%) Crystal 40L
0.5 lb (3%) Carapils (dextrin)
1 lb (9%) Dextrose (corn) sugar

You won't notice the deletion of Munich at just 0.25%, and all the C120 adds is a raisiny sweetness. It's better to use the same value or less of a lighter crystal malt, if using at all for this style.

Use a ton of Hop Extract or a couple ounces of cheap high alpha hops @90 min full rolling boil.

No other hops during the boil until you shut off the flame (preferably a bit cooler than that). Then, dry hop the hell out of it for maximum flavor & aroma. Boiling temps and too much heat slowly kills hop flavor & aroma. Think about it... It's a delicate plant/flower. It gets bitter when boiled, and remains the most fragrant when fresh.

Thanks for all the advice! Looks like my original hop schedule was way too bitter...I am going for more aroma and flavor so thanks for pointing that out.

The hop stand sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of that before - learn something new every time I brew. So instead of adding hops at flameout, should I cool down to around 180 then add the Citra/Amarillo?

To me - you have enough hops for both. The hops and quantities of each are fine.

If you get early bitterness, you can do both. YUM!!!

So instead of adding hops at flameout, should I cool down to around 180 then add the Citra/Amarillo?

Yes... or you can add hops at both times for more punch. Just keep in mind that some isomerization happens at boiling temps (which is still flameout).

if its was me i'd remove you c120 all together, as you've already got carapils as some specialty in there, so that'll be heaps. keep it nice andry - mash nice and low.

your bittering is too high, move you 1oz of centennial and 1ox of amarillo to 10 mins before end of boil - or alternatively flameout.
dryhop looks good.
use us-05 or wlp001/wy1056 to get dry and clean.

i brewed one on friday - no specialties - pale/ vienna / munich mashed at 148F

Back