Imperial IPA or Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently tried to make an Imperial IPA. It didn't taste anything like one, but it was an awsome Barley Wine. Can anyone tell me where I went astray. My recipe is posted here. Thanks!

It looks like you used a small amount of bittering hops and tons of flavor hops. I personally would have skewed it so that there was a bigger addition at the beginning and fewer additions during the boil (ex. 2 oz @ 90 min, 2 oz @ 60 min, then flavor). The way you added the hops ended up leaving you with a very high gravity beer that had a good balance of malt flavor, hop bittering, and hop flavor. IIPAs generally leave the malt flavor behind a bit for more of the latter two.

Sounds like a tasty brew though. Did it really finish that fast?

NotionCommotion said:
I recently tried to make an Imperial IPA. It didn't taste anything like one, but it was an awsome Barley Wine. Can anyone tell me where I went astray. My recipe is posted here. Thanks!

I don't see any problem with the hops if I am reading recipe correctly...your IBUs are through the roof. Though, your SG was likely rather high and require some pretty substantial fermentation/starter to attenuate well.

Thanks for the advise. Yes, it is high gravity. In fact, the final gravity was around 1.025, a little higher than I expected. I pitched with a new liquid american yeast, a new dry american yeast, and some leftover american yeast from the tertriary of a earlier beer, and then oxygenated well. I was concerned that the yeast in the later might be weak, but this evidently wasn't the case because I had health fermentation in 3 hours.

I don't know what you meant by "did it finish that fast". I should have kept in in the primary for 8 or 9 days, but only did for 7 and moved to a secondary to dry hop. There was a LOT of yeast at the end of my secondary.

The IBU's are definately up there, but the sweetness seems to balance well. I am thinking this will be a good brew to age a bit.

NotionCommotion said:
Could just be the variety of hops you used paired with the high alcohol content.

My IIPA has over 200 calculated IBUs with a 1.080 OG. I mash low in the 148 range to keep it dry. I also use very little crystal if at all.

Based on other comments I have read or heard on IIPAs, including the Jamil Show, I would say you need to look at trying to get a drier beer for an IIPA. Mashing at low temps, below 150F and replacing some of the extract with corn sugar should help. Ofcourse a big starter and a dry clean fermenting yeast is a must.

There is definitely some over lap with IIPAs and Barleywines and it sounds like you ended up a little on the BW side of things. I don't think you can use too many hops with an IIPA so that may be something you can do also.
Craig

I'd concur with the recommendation for lower mash temps and to cut back on the crystal. If you want some extra malt character to the brew, try a few pounds of Munich along with the base malt. One other thing you can do is to use a modest amount (~10%) of a simple sugar - even table sugar - to add gravity while keeping the beer fairly dry.

Thanks for the advice. I will incorperate it in my next strong IPA (and enjoy my barley wine until then).

Back