Imperial IPA dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jojomonkey

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently I brewed a Brewers Best Imperial IPA kit recipe. I noted that it didn't call for any dry hopping whatsoever. Being that I like hoppy beers, I want your suggestions.

Here is the recipe,
6.6LB light DME
3LB golden DME
1LB caramel 80L
8OZ Victory
4 oz Carapils

Then they called for 2 oz (60 min)of bittering, 1 oz of flavoring (40 min), 1 oz of aroma(5 min) (all columbus pellets w/ 13.9%AA)

After a few weeks, I just transferred it to the secondary. It'll sit there for about 4-5 wks before bottling.

First, do you suggest a dry hopping?, if so, how long into the secondary?
Second, what's your thoughts on 1 oz of Citra or I have available 1 oz of Simcoe.

I do like hop heavy beers, and this one is planned to age for awhile. I tasted it on the transfer and it did taste quite nice and smooth. Just wondering if it's nice to hop it up a bit more.

Prost.

terrapinj

Reaction score
dry hop with them both :)

you probably don't need to age it for too long - if it tastes good now, id say dry hop it for a week or so and bottle it up

dcp27

Reaction score
dry hop with them both :)

you probably don't need to age it for too long - if it tastes good now, id say dry hop it for a week or so and bottle it up
+1 to both. needs at least a 2oz dry hop for a IIPA.

BryceL

Reaction score
Another vote for the dry hop. I'd go with the ounce of each if you have them laying around. I'd go 7-10 days on it.

treznor

Reaction score
Just a note, if you're going with 'hoppy = high IBU' then dry-hopping isn't going to do anything for you. Dry hopping adds to the aroma only, no bittering. If you're going with 'hoppy = aroma' then I'd definitely go the dry hop route.

OP
J

jojomonkey

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice.

Yeah, I know it's for aroma, and since I really like my hop smell and taste, I think I will take your advice and add both the simcoe and citra hops at 7-10 days left.

Like I stated in the first post, I was shocked the BB kit didn't have a dry hop addition. It will now.

phuff7129

Reaction score
I wouldn't let it age too long. My experience is most hop forward beers are best when they are young. The hoppiness fades with time. I just popped my first bottle of a very hoppy IPA and it was 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary and dry hop, and believe it or not 7 days in the bottle then 3 days on the fridge and it is awesome! Definitely do the dry hop.