Imperial IPA Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code3Brewing

Reaction score
Brewed this on 10/25/12

#10 - 2-row Rahr
#3 - Pale Wheat
#2 - Vienna
#.75 - Carapils
#.75 - C-40
#1.75 - Invert Sugar

1.25 oz. - Columbus 90min
1oz - Zythos 10 min
1oz - Falconer's flight 5 min
3oz - Cascade flameout

OG: 1089

when it was at 1020 I dry hopped with 1oz. of amarillo then transferred to secondary after 7 days. Now I'm sitting at 1016 which is a lot lower then I expected When I sampled at the transfer was pretty well balanced a little sweet, but at the time it was 1020. I am thinking of doing another dry hop for 7 days. I have warrior, cascade, columbus, and chinook.

My question is should I stick with a cascade dry hop or should I throw some columbus in there as well? And how much should I go for 2-3 oz? less? Thanks for any advise you could provide.

I would probably do one oz. Cascade and one oz. Columbus. Both are nice for dry hopping.

Since you dry hopped once already, what are you trying to accomplish with the second dry hop addition?

If you're just looking for an aroma blast, try running the beer through a randalizer just prior to bottling. Fill the randal with your hops of choice.

The whole IIPA idea it to be totally over the top with hops aroma and flavor. I'd go with at least 3 more oz to dry hop. I personally like to mix in something to balance the sweetness of the amarillo. Columbus, chinook, simcoe etc.

I am mostly looking for crazy hop aroma, like bill stated, and I don't have a randalizer, so I'm gonna go with 3oz.-Columbus, 1oz.-Cascade in an attempt to balance it out a bit,

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you've made an IIPA you want at least 4oz dry hop IMO. 1.016 is a great place to target for a nice dry IIPA. Many people would kill for that attenuation.

Back