Imperial IPA Critique (leftover ingredients)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
Recipe: Bips Imperial IPA
Brewer: Bips
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.083 SG
Estimated Color: 12.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 87.0 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.4 %
8 lbs Pilsner (2 row) (Gambrinus) (1.6 SRM) Grain 46.4 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
8.0 oz Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.4 %

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 12.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 17.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 7.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 8.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 12 1.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg SafBrew Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-33) [23.66 Yeast 13 -

Can't make it out this weekend to stock up on supplies and want to brew this weekend. So I put together this Imperial IPA Recipe. Any critiques?

If it we're, I'd cut out the roasted barley and switch places with your 60min cascade to the northern brewer. Good luck.
i agree with both of those. your flavor is going to be all noble hops the way you have it layed out.

i doubt a single pack of safbrew will attenuate the way you're hoping unless this is a small batch.

Thanks for the input. Hop placement sometimes throws me off. The only reason for the roasted barley was to help get the color up a little.

In terms of the yeast. I am trying to figure out what to do. I agree that it may not be enough so I was wondering which route I should go with. I only have one pack of the safbrew s-33. I also have a pack of Nottingham that maybe I could pitch both. Or option two would be to take a washed yeast from my fridge and make a starter from. I have a washed 1099 from a porter and also one from an Irish Red ale. Or I have a 1028 from my Pumpkin ale. Any thoughts?

I'd drop the 30 minute additions. Move the hops you want to taste to 15; and the hops you want to smell to 5/0, or whirlpool for 20 minutes.

For the yeast, I'd either get a few more packets of Notty or go with S-05 or other equivalents. Either way you're going to need 2-3 packets.

Also, I'd drop the roasted barley completely. Why are you trying to keep up with color on on a scratch batch? The caramel and toasted will give you plenty of color, and plenty of body.

you damn wyeast guys. i always have to find the white labs conversion chart.

1099 is the bedford strain. the white labs site doesn't recommend it for IPA's. i use wlp007 for hoppy beers and it's nice.

1028 is the london dry. probably a better way to go.

another thing you can do is brew a small (low OG) beer like a bitter or mild with the safbrew and then wash the yeast. then you can brew this one the following week with your washed yeast.

I like the idea of making a bitter or mild. Would the roasted barley fit ok for one of them?
roasted barley is going to be a bit much for a mild and out of place for a bitter. you could do a little porter though. you can do a porter with just about any english yeast with good results.

Back