Double IPA Imperial IPA (2011 HBT Competition - Best of Show Category 14 winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
YES
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days, 68F
Tasting Notes
Mash 150F for 60min, 70% efficiency
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.67 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (7.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 95.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Whirlfloc added at 15 left in boil

Very dank hop flavor and aroma. I was suprised this won BOS with a 4 month old bottle transfered from the keg:mug:

This looks very similar to the one I just made not too long ago...
only difference...I used some Corn sugar to boost it and my hops were slightly different, Replace your warrior with Columbus and your simcoe with Citra!

My buddies and I really enjoyed it, I shoulda made 10 gallons instead of 5!

This looks very similar to the one I just made not too long ago...
only difference...I used some Corn sugar to boost it and my hops were slightly different, Replace your warrior with Columbus and your simcoe with Citra!

My buddies and I really enjoyed it, I shoulda made 10 gallons instead of 5!

nice one! ive heard though citra in the kettle for flavor additions can be kinda harsh. ive actually made this same recipe with columbus/bittering and it was great. ive also done corn sugar to boost and dry it out and it was fine. if i want a dryer beer now ill just mash at 149...

I just brewed a 5 gal batch of this recipe over the Memorial day weekend. I did too replace the Warrior with Columbus. The fermentation chamber smells awesome. This will be my first time using 4 oz for dry hopping. All my other IPA batches used half of that. I bet this is going to be a tasty one.

I just brewed a 5 gal batch of this recipe over the Memorial day weekend. I did too replace the Warrior with Columbus. The fermentation chamber smells awesome. This will be my first time using 4 oz for dry hopping. All my other IPA batches used half of that. I bet this is going to be a tasty one.

Nice, you"ll be happy with the Columbus bittering. Dont be afraid to try dry hopping half (2oz) for 7 days, then the other half for another 7 days. 14 days total with the first round. Crazy aromatics, Cheers...

Dont be afraid to try dry hopping half (2oz) for 7 days, then the other half for another 7 days. 14 days total with the first round.

I like your recommendation on the dry hopping schedule. My plan will be to equally split my dry hop quantity between the two additions unless you have a better recommendation on which hops to add in each of the two additions.

85% attenuation from WLP001 with a starting gravity of 1.076? That seems reallllllly high. Did you use any sugar?

85% attenuation from WLP001 with a starting gravity of 1.076? That seems reallllllly high. Did you use any sugar?

Not on this particular batch, but i have subbed 3% 2row for corn sugar in the past. Ive had WLP001 go down to 1.008 before. I usually mash 148-150 to have a really dry beer...

Today I took a hydro reading before I racked to secondary and it ended at 1.017. My SG was 1.075. I think this translates to 77% attenuation which is in the mid range of WLP-001 attenuation profile. My mash temperature was 150F and I kept my fermentation temperature at 70F +/-1.
On to dry hopping...

Interesting recipe I like the 14 day dry hop in two parts idea!

Why use the wheat malt? Body and head retention?

Awesome.

I pretty much used your grain bill, but I got flaked wheat instead and my LBHS gave me 1lb of crystal 40 instead of 1/2lb.. already crushed and mixed. couldn't adjust.. Also, I changed the hops up a little based on what i had.

Went with Warrior for the bitter, and then a combo of centennial, simcoe, and columbus for the flavor and aroma.

Incredible! Has the dankness of Ruination. Really good recipe +100 to the brewer!

So I just tried replicating this but on a 20 gal system and got an OG of 1.062 does that just mean I got really bad efficiency? That seems terrible.

Back