Imperial Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either way I had that beer at the brewery in Seattle & I really enjoyed it. I some what agree that they would have a hard time saying that they are the first brewery to produce such a beer though.

Cheers

I had something called a Wheat Wine at the Strong Ale Fest this year, sort of sounds similar, can't remember who brewed it though...

Quoted from the beeradvocate article:

BEERADVOCATE - On the name and labeling, were there any restrictions to over come by labeling the beer as an Imperial Hefe? If so, is Pyramid technically the first brewer to come out with an Imperial Hefe? Example: Smuttynose is technically the first brewery to produce a Wheat Wine being they battled the feds for label approval for the term "Wheat Wine" even though many other brewers had been brewing within that new style for years.

Just a guess was it Smuttynose?

Smuttynose's wheat wine is done with an american ale yeast, I think Cal ale. Some wheat character, but no banana and cloves.

Back