Imperial Coffee Vanilla Milk Stout Recipe Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkoozer

Reaction score
Wanting to brew something for next Christmas as presents. The wife really likes really sweet and creamy coffee, so thinking along the lines of a high gravity creamy stout with strong coffee and vanilla flavors. Really just shooting from the hip on this based on other recipes. This is what I am thinking:

Style: Imperial Stout
Type: All Grain
OG: 1.086
FG: 1.022
ABV: 8.5 %
IBU's: 43
Efficiency: 75 %
Boil Size: 12.9 Gal
Color: 44 SRM
Batch Size: 11 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.077
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps

Primary 28 days @68F
Secondary 10 Months @68F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name
30 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
3 lb Crystal 120L
2 lb Chocolate
2 lb Flaked Oat
1 lb Black Patent
2 lb Lactose at flame out

Hops
8 oz Fuggle @ 60min

Yeasts
Looking for a recommendation

Additions
Amount Name
8 oz coffee beans (secondary)
3 ea Vanilla beans in Vodka (secondary

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154
Mashout 10 min @ 170

One suggestion would be to add the lactose sugar a little sooner than flamout. Maybe with 10 minutes left that way you know it is thoroughly dissolved.. Also, how are you planning on doing the coffee addition? are you adding the beans right in? You didn't say how you were going to add them, but I believe that most do a cold steep of ground beans.
As far as the yeast you could use a few options, I just did a RIS with the 1056, but you could use the wyeast 1084. I would just say make sure you pitch the proper pitch rate.

Thanks. Was planning on doing a cold brew of coffee with 8 oz of medium roast medium ground coffee. Not really sure if this is a good amount or not

Planning on doing a 2 liter starter with 3 vials per MrMalty

First recipe that I've put together

Yea, I would say start with the 8oz of coffee at first and if you need more than you can always add it, but you can't take away the coffee flavor once its added. For me what I did was split my 10 gallons into 2 carboys and pitched two different yeasts. I started to do this to play around with how they change the beer profile. Not sure if you are able to do but it might be something to look into.

Back