Imparting flavor with nuts.?.?.and I don't mean dipping your balls in it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me about using nuts as a flavor component. It never really occurred to me to try. Unsure what effect it would have, if any. Wondering if anyone's considered or tried using nuts in a brew.:drunk:

I have been considering this too. I've read that using whole nuts in the boil can cause astringency due to the tannins in the nuts, but I really don't know. I've also read that using the nuts in the secondary is the way to go. Soak them in a neutral spirit for a week, then dump them in the secondary along with the spirit, and rack on top of them.

I'm doing a brown w/ pecans soon and did a search for "pecan" here and found a few different threads discussing it. I'm going to add them to the mash. We'll see how it goes I guess!

My lhbs store owner made a batch with pistachios in it. He said he was concerned about the oils from the nuts, but it turned out to really not be an issue. He did add them to the mash and he really liked the brew.

I had to comment, just based on the title.

I have heard that roasting them in the oven until they smell god, and then tossing them in with the mash is a good way to go. either that or soak them in vodka, bourbon, or something else until you add to your beer at bottling.

I like these ideas. I think I'm going to try to roast them, add 1/2 of them to the mash, and soak the other 1/2 to add to the secondary when I finally get around to using nuts in a brew. I've wanted to try now for a while.

Hey everybody, it's Louie!

I tried a peanut beer at our local homebrew club meeting once. IIRC, it was a basic pale ale recipe with peanuts in the secondary. It was pretty good. I would definitely pick up a 6 of it if it were at the store.

This thread reminds me of a picture I snapped once while fishing a hop bag out of a boil:

photo-44.jpg

Back