Impact on final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RmikeVT

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to calculate/estimate the impact on final gravity that the different malts have? I understand their impacts on OG but how can I calculate the attenuation? An example would be that I like the yeast profile of 'x's yeast but it is too attenuative for my recipe, how do I calculate how much dextrine malt to add, or how much to raise the mash temp to hit my goal FG.

I'm doing 6 gallon AG batch sparge

If you calculate your OG and divide the gravity points by 4 you get the estimated FG, if that's your question.

For yeast it's more about selecting the strain that will give you the desired profile first, I believe and then you can manipulate the recipe gravity accordingly.

If you calculate your OG and divide the gravity points by 4 you get the estimated FG, if that's your question.

For yeast it's more about selecting the strain that will give you the desired profile first, I believe and then you can manipulate the recipe gravity accordingly.

Thanks for answering. My questions is more along the lines how much should I expect my FG to increase if I mash at 156 instead of 150; or how much of an increase should I expect if I substitute a pound of CaraPils for a Pound of Base Malt.

Potential extract of carapils is 1.034 and base malt is 1.037 so a difference of .003 +/-
As for the difference in the mash it mostly depends upon the entire grain bill, I am not 100% sure how that would be calculated, perhaps someone else has the calculation

My questions is more along the lines how much should I expect my FG to increase if I mash at 156 instead of 150; or how much of an increase should I expect if I substitute a pound of CaraPils for a Pound of Base Malt.

Seems like there are so many variables to try to do this by hand, the price of software is definitely worth it to me.

I know this doesn't really answer your question if you want the actual calculations, but for reference I just changed the mash temp from 150 to 156 on one of my prior recipes (OG 1.061) and it bumped the expected FG up by 4 pts.

I do use BeerSmith and noticed that If I chose Full Body I get a high FG and Yeast Strain had an impact too. I Subbed out a pound of CaraPils for BaseMalt and that had no impact.

Do anyone know if BeerSmith analyzes the FG potential of a grain?

RmikeVT said:
I do use BeerSmith and noticed that If I chose Full Body I get a high FG and Yeast Strain had an impact too. I Subbed out a pound of CaraPils for BaseMalt and that had no impact.

Do anyone know if BeerSmith analyzes the FG potential of a grain?

That's because it changes the target mash temp to arrive at a more or less fermentable wort which in turn changes the body of the beer

As for ferment ability of the grains it defaults to a potential extract of each grain which you can see for each ingredient in the ingredients tab. Not sure but I assume this is taken into account in the calculations that determine the final conversion potential

Back