Impact of Swapping Extract Brands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberMonk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First off, been only a couple months since I got started and I'm already in love with this site. Kudos to you guys for maintaining an awesome and informative community!

I'm a new home brewer--my third batch, the Pliny clone from More Beer, has been in primary for about a week now--and after a few kit brews I'm planning on doing one from recipe and acquiring the ingredients piecemeal.

I picked up Beer Captured after seeing it referenced around the forum, and have decided to try my hand at the included Franziskaner clone. The recipe in the book calls for Muntons Wheat DME (I'm sticking with extract brewing for the time being given space and other constraints), and in fact most of the recipes call for some variety of Muntons.

I'm curious about the effect of swapping out Muntons for something that's easier (and cheaper) to get my hands on, e.g., the Wheat DME at my LHBS. I understand there may be blend differences, in the percentages of wheat and malted barley for instance (I believe Muntons is 55/45?), but will that or other factors have a big impact on the resulting beer? The rest of the ingredients shouldn't be a problem to obtain locally, and I can adjust for AA values as needed.

Just as an aside, I'm in Berkeley, so More Beer's showroom isn't that far off for me. They carry Briess DME, so that's also an option. Thanks for the help!

I think you'll be fine if you use the wheat dme that you'll find locally, the difference will be negligible...

Welcome to the board.

Cheers!

Yeah just pick one and go with it. Oh and don't defend staying with extract. Make improvements along the way and master everything else and you'll make really really good beer and may not feel the need to try all grain. Fermentation is key.

Back