Immersion VS Plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
I am very close to purchasing a chiller for my setup. I am torn between getting the shirron wort plate chiller or the classic immersion coil style. I live in houston and will most likely be brewing out side in the future, so heat could be a consideration.

I am buying a 40qt polar kettle with a false bottom, so it would be easy to setup the plate style in that aspect as well. Will gravity feed the plate chiller? If not what kind of small pump is necessary? Also when the wort is leaving the plate chiller, does it just get rerouted through your kettle till you get your temp?

I am a beginning brewer that wants to get equipment that I can advance with and not have laying around later only to buy more. I will progress to grains a little later, and will most likely keg as well. Any info from experienced brewers would be great, cause im ready to get going.

I am aware that the plate style takes a little more cleaning, but want to be sure im getting the right thing.

Yeah I guess this gets asked a bunch. sorry

Went ahead and got the shirron

I dont see why you couldnt combine both in sync to lower temp even faster.
This would require more money, but it seems the more temp transfer the faster it cools.

Latest posts

Back