Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Hartley

Reaction score
Hi all,

I built an chiller today & soaked it in PBW for a couple of hours & then rinsed. I was reading in Palmer's book that it should be cleaned with acetic or Phosphoric acid once before the first use.

Is this necessary & if so what concentrations are recommended?

Thank,

Keith

What sanitizer do you use? If you use StarSan it will work great. If you dont have any, well you should buy some because it kicks ass, a solution of any acid will work. Something safe like vinegar.

Boil it in a mixture of water and white vinegar, it'll shine like a mirror!

What sanitizer do you use? If you use StarSan it will work great. If you dont have any, well you should buy some because it kicks ass, a solution of any acid will work. Something safe like vinegar.

At what strength vinegar are you talking about?
Is it reduced or cut with water? If so by how much?
Reason asking is white vinegar is 5% acidity or 50 grain. My friend hauls vinegar for food processing companies in 100, 150, 200 and 300 grain.
The high grain will burn tender areas like the bottom of your arms and even the low grain will eat 304 stainless same 304 as the kegs and corny's are made of.

You wont need anything too strong. StarSan lands somewhere below 3 on the pH scale. That 5% vinegar in boiling water will work great.

I'm using Idophor for now but will try StarSan next.
So like 1 cup of vinegar to 5 gal of water?
Can you just soak this or do you have to boil it? The reason I'm asking is because my new chiller is too tall for my boiling pot. It fits nicely in a 5 gal plastic fermenting bucket though:)

I have a variable speed DC gear motor and was thinking about one of my lesser value bronze racing props for a slow HLT stir unit.
Word of caution, I boiled a couple early 50's bronze racing outboard motor props, one had sampings and names from my neighbors prop repair business. A special find to me and family as dad knew the family from 1930's they always raced outboards.
While the wife was out "shopping for hours" I was told I had the 9" diamer prop in aluminum brightner 18 wheelers use with 50% water simmering on the stove an hour. The wife AKA War Department came home early before I was done and the house aired out.
Big oops like when I had a big wort boilover that went inside the stove years ago. Heck I baked a apple pie not noticing one knob was on broil and I left the kitchen and went outside for 20 minutes.
Black apple crisp anyone?

Back