Immersion chiller turned in line cooler...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
I recently was looking for a more efficient way to chill my beer and run it straight into my carboy. I cut the fittings off of a 50' immersion chiller, unwound it and rewound it into a larger coil. I made sure that my "beer in" and "beer out" ends were on opposite sides. I then mounted this into a square cooler and filled with 40lbs of ice. I ran 10 gallons of beer through the chiller and with a little shaking of the cooler throughout the process, the temperature dropped to 64F, exactly what I was looking for!

I like this idea, and it might work for my winter brewing, but instead of ice I can just pack it full of snow.

I like this idea, and it might work for my winter brewing, but instead of ice I can just pack it full of snow.

Thats what my plan is right now... Im in colorado springs and I already got enough to snow to be able to do this...

This is what I was considering doing as I can get ice from my fire station free I usually grab 10gallons for brew day but I figure it's more surface area touching cold this way..... U think 25' would work for 3 gallon batches? Or no

This is what I was considering doing as I can get ice from my fire station free I usually grab 10gallons for brew day but I figure it's more surface area touching cold this way..... U think 25' would work for 3 gallon batches? Or no

When you use an immersion chiller this way, the linear footage of the chiller and batch size really have no correlation. Assuming the ice water temp is constant and the flow of wort is the same, it doesn't matter if you run 1 gallon or 10,000 gallons through a given chiller, the outlet temp will be the same because the surface area is fixed.

But I think what you're trying to ask is, "Will a 25' immersion chiller have enough surface area to cool the wort to an appropriate temperature?" And the answer to that is, it depends. The longer the chiller the faster the wort can flow for a desired outlet temperature. Or another way to look at it is that you'll be able to achieve a lower temp for a given flow rate.

Hope this helps somehow. Haven't had any coffee yet, so this may all be nonsensical drivel.

Think of it this way. 3 gallons of boiling water has a set amount of energy. Depending on the required outlet temperature, you will need a certain amount of "cooling". This is accomplished by the amount of ice/snow you use in the cooler. You will need more ice/snow the lower the desired outlet temp.

But as was stated above, the actual outlet temp in your setup is controlled by the velocity in the chiller. If you run the liquid too fast, you will come out hotter than desired; too slow and the outlet temp could be too low.

And to complicate things even more, as you run your wort through the chiller, the contents of your chiller will rise in temperature meaning the time required to be in the chiller to achieve the goal temp will increase as more wort goes through it. To combat this, adding more ice/snow than what is mathematically required to maintain as consistent a temp as possible is desired.

So, in the end, if you are using ice/snow, your internal temps are approximately 32°F. Always add water since liquid transfers heat better than loose ice/snow. Add ice as your wort is going through as needed to maintain a 32°F temp. Control the velocity of the wort through the chiller with a valve to achieve the desired outlet temp. I would probably go colder than desired and allow the contents to naturally rise up to the goal temp.

And lastly, I would suggest adding a valve on the outlet of the chiller before the carboy and use this valve to control wort velocity. By controlling the flow at this location, the tubing inside the chiller will always be "full" and pretty much void of air. If you control the flow before the inlet to the chiller, then you have a chance of having half full (or some percentage less than 100%) tubing and this will require slower velocity to get the proper heat transfer.

Back