Immersion chiller question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene

Reaction score
In most recipes state to put your chiller in the wort and boil for the last 15min. Is it ok to leave a chiller in a bucket of StarSan until its needed? Does the StarSan affect the copper tubing in any way?

Yeah, that's the way I used to do it. I never noticed any ill effects.

The boiling water gets rid of anything on it within the 15 minutes...I sanitized my chiller a few times before putting it in, but now I just put it right in. Never noticed a difference.

Also, not totally sure, but isn't the acidic nature of starsan bad on soft metals? Copper is a soft metal.

Since StarSan is an acid, you might not want to use it for the long term on the IC... I did it the first time I used mine, before hearing that you shouldn't...

I would just make sure it's clean before you put it into the pot. You can put it in pretty much any time from ~15 before the boil is done until flame-out... You'll want it exposed to the high temp wort for at least a minute, or so, in order to sanitize it. I think anything more than 1-2 minutes would be plenty of time to kill anything that's on the IC...

Back