Immersion chiller disaster...always check your fittings!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwwdotcomdotnet

Reaction score
Today I did my first 11 gallon outdoor all grain batch with a new mash tun (I typically do 5 gallon batches indoors using BIAB technique). I rigged up a hose fitting for my immersion chiller but did not factor in the extra flow rate / pressure of the hose water. Long story short, after walking away for 15 minutes, there was an extra 2 gallons of water that leaked from one of the fittings on my IC into my cooled wart. So 11 gallons of a [luckily] imperial style rye IPA turned into ...you guessed it... 13 gallons of a normal style rye IPA.

I pitched two packets of dry yeast per 6 gallon carboy, however the wort had a slight "rubber" taste to it. Definitely noticable. I am hoping that I did not infect the wort from the hose water, but I am more concerned that the batch is ruined by the off tastes of the rubber. Luckily after all that the SG was 1.0525, so there is still hope that I did not completely destroy it. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Let this be a lesson to everyone else! Either that, or I am an idiot and no one would ever screw up that badly. Only time will tell...

Cheers!

mmmm yeah. I've had a few "you've got to be f'ing kidding me!" moments with my immersion chiller (which I hate because of the high annoyance factor with the fittings).

I've somewhat solved this by hanging the ends (where the hose hooks in) over the edge of the kettle. Stick the kettle in a big metal pan (like one would use for auto repairs to catch oil / hold stuff), and then put the lid back on the kettle, making sure nothing moves.

The damned chiller does leak from time to time, but at least the water is not getting into the kettle. (that's what I get for buying a cheap chiller)

Yeah...my next order of business is buying a new 50' IC where the copper comes up out of the keggle and hangs over the side where the fittings attach...The one I have now is 25' and the fittings are covered by wort so I had no idea until I removed the lid to whirlpool before racking to the carboy. The last time I used it at a friends house the same thing happened but with another fitting and we got about a gallon of delicious Medford water into the wort. Turned out fine. I should have learned by now not to use this IC and get a new legit one. As long as my yeast overcomes the nasties in the hose water, I'm set. The rubber off flavor could kill the batch, however.

Sad face.

Crossing my fingers. If this works out, I am convinced that I will never infect a beer.

I noticed you are from Watertown. I'm in East Arlington!

Back