Immersion Chiller as Pre Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
I've heard of people converting their old IC into a prechiller for a plate chiller; how would you get the diameter of hose for the IC to go up to 1/2" ID? Im confident in the ground temps now in Georgia for just straight hose water, but trying to be proactive for the next 95° brew day...

You can source barbed hose adapter fittings to increase or decrease hose sizes.

That said, a cheap pump used to push ice water through your plate chiller will be far more effective than using a pre chiller.

I know you want to use what you have, but from what I’ve read results are night and day.

Never used a plate chiller, but if your groundwater temp is high you're going to have to somehow chill down some water to run through that, even if you use the IC as a pre-chiller. My 2 cents: Figure a way to chill enough water to run one or the other and keep it simple. Small freezers have gotten really cheap and work pretty good for that purpose.

Given that, I'll just use the aquarium pump I have to pump directly through the plate chiller then. Thanks!

Back