I'm Taking the Plunge, Too!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
Rhoobarb

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
Well, I just racked this 1st AG to secondary. It will have a nice, fourteen day rest there before bottling. The OG was 1.050 and the SG right now is 1.006 - ~6.1% ABV!. The initial harsh flavor that I attributed to the hops has mellowed a bit. But now there is just a bit of an alcohol 'bite'. All in all, I think this will turn out very nice! :D

I'm an affirmed AG'er from here on out! :cool: :D In fact, ORRELSE was kind enough to share the AG version of his Lake Walk Pale Ale recipe and that is what I wil be brewing this Saturday!

Thanks to everyone. And if I can do it, so can you!:)
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
Beaumont
it's a good feeling hu rhoobarb? i went to my HBC meeting last night, and it's cool when people appreciate the efforts we put into brewing our beers. it's feels even better when they come back and ask for more!


i'm getting my new keg tier sytsem built by our club blacksmith, and got a chance to look at one last night. man, are they SWEEEETTTTT! http://groups.msn.com/gthc
check our web page for pics of the systems..........
 
OP
Rhoobarb

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
Man, those are some sweet set-ups! Maybe, someday...

Hey, I see John McKissack's name there. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I've seen him posting to rec.crafts.brewing from time to time. Seems he's done pretty well for himself in some recent homebrew competitions!
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
Beaumont
yep, that's the same one. he's only been brewing for 7-8 months too. he went off full blast into it. he and some of the other members have been entering beers and doing pretty good. our club patriarc is Dean Domec. he won National Homebrewer of the Year a couple years ago. lots of brewing knowledge from those guys......
i drop off my kegs today and gonna see what he's got done so far. feel like a kid in a candy store!!!!!
 
OP
Rhoobarb

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
DeRoux's Broux said:
yep, that's the same one. he's only been brewing for 7-8 months too. he went off full blast into it. he and some of the other members have been entering beers and doing pretty good. our club patriarc is Dean Domec. he won National Homebrewer of the Year a couple years ago. lots of brewing knowledge from those guys......
i drop off my kegs today and gonna see what he's got done so far. feel like a kid in a candy store!!!!!
Very cool. Man, I love Houston. If I ever get back there, I'd love to hit St. Arnold's.

My grandparents lived there when I was a kid and my sister and I spent many summers there eating Shipley's Donuts (the best! - blows Krispy Kreme's away, IMHO... and I like Krispy Kreme's). My parents have been living in Richmond for the last 18 years.

They just sold their place and moved to Austin. I was born there and my dad was born and raised there. He went to UT, married Mom, got a job with Amoco and eventually moved us to Chicago. :)

So now, I'm gonna have to find good Austin-based breweries!
 
OP
Rhoobarb

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
Born Brewing Co. said:
I checked out The Barleycrusher website. Pretty cool, but $109, yikes. I am hoping the grain mill I get on ebay for $20 will do the job, simple hopper and adjustable plate grinder (similar to the one I use at HBS). Let us know how that Barleycrusher works for you, maybe I'll upgrade.
Worth every penny! Is it the most expensive, single brewing-related item I've ever purchased? Yes, hands down. But this thing looks like it will outlast and outlive me! And attaching a standard 3/8" drill to it is ridiculously easy and makes milling an absolute breeze. I can go through 9 lbs. of grain in less than two minutes! :D

In fact, the act of attaching the drill motor, loading the hopper twice and then detaching the drill motor takes me much longer than the actual milling itself!
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
Beaumont
Rhoobarb said:
Very cool. Man, I love Houston. If I ever get back there, I'd love to hit St. Arnold's.

My grandparents lived there when I was a kid and my sister and I spent many summers there eating Shipley's Donuts (the best! - blows Krispy Kreme's away, IMHO... and I like Krispy Kreme's). My parents have been living in Richmond for the last 18 years.

They just sold their place and moved to Austin. I was born there and my dad was born and raised there. He went to UT, married Mom, got a job with Amoco and eventually moved us to Chicago. :)

So now, I'm gonna have to find good Austin-based breweries!
A T-SIPPER! :rolleyes: OH MAN, WE ARE ALL AGGIES @ MY HOUSE!!!

my uncle coached at Texas A&M under Jackie "Hush Money" Sherrill and my brother and ex-wife graduated from there. oh well, i'll let that slide :D

get a pen 'cause here are the ones i know of in Austin:
Live Oak Brewery (very good beer, only on draft as of now)
North By Northwest (brew-pub, very good beer and food)
Bitter End Bistro and Brewery (good beer, never had food.)
Lovejoys (brew pub, mostly Belgian style brews, not too crazy about 'em)
Independence Brewing Co. (brewery, not too crazy about 'em)
Real Ale Brewing Company Blanco, TX (brewery, awesome beers!)
Fredericksburg Brewery, Fredericksburg, TX (brew pub, good German style brews and food)

there's one or two others, but can't remember them off the top of my head.
Shipley's are PDG! great apple fritters!!!! :p

we go pretty regular to Austin or that area of the Hill Country. going to Wimberely next weekend for a long weekend. hit some wineries and Real Ale in Blanco while there too. let me know next time, and if we're there, we'll have a brew or two!!
 

El Pistolero

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
3,584
Reaction score
17
Location
Houston
DeRoux's Broux said:
A T-SIPPER! :rolleyes: OH MAN, WE ARE ALL AGGIES @ MY HOUSE!!!

we go pretty regular to Austin or that area of the Hill Country. going to Wimberely next weekend for a long weekend. hit some wineries and Real Ale in Blanco while there too. let me know next time, and if we're there, we'll have a brew or two!!
I keep hearing Austin is a nice place and I should go visit there, but isn't everything that puke orange color? ;)
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
Beaumont
El Pistolero said:
I keep hearing Austin is a nice place and I should go visit there, but isn't everything that puke orange color? ;)
WHOOP! (sorry, old rivalries run deep and bitter!) hehehehehehehe......
i like you El Pistolero!
Austin is a cool town with the music, food, landscape, and brews.........
 

El Pistolero

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
3,584
Reaction score
17
Location
Houston
DeRoux's Broux said:
Austin is a cool town with the music, food, landscape, and brews.........
Yeh, as much as I hate to admit it, Austin is probably the best place in the country to live. The music scene is comparable to Chicago and the west coast, several of the top ten bbq places within 30 miles, any kind of fishing you want within a half day, pro sports also, beautiful country, and a college town to boot. :cool: If only they had a football team ;)
 

El Pistolero

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
3,584
Reaction score
17
Location
Houston
Sudster said:
Now them is fightin words... Bubba...go get a rope!
Which ones:

1) Puke Orange color
2) If they only had a football team
3) Best place in the country to live

My guess is you're PO'd about #3, cuz you want to keep the population down :D
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
Beaumont
El Pistolero said:
Yeh, as much as I hate to admit it, Austin is probably the best place in the country to live. The music scene is comparable to Chicago and the west coast, several of the top ten bbq places within 30 miles, any kind of fishing you want within a half day, pro sports also, beautiful country, and a college town to boot. :cool: If only they had a football team ;)
all true, all true. the yhave two football teams to watch:1.) Houston Texans and 2.) FIGHT'N TEXAS AGGIES! :p :p
 
OP
Rhoobarb

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
DeRoux's Broux said:
... my uncle coached at Texas A&M under Jackie "Hush Money" Sherrill...
Or as we used to call him (strung together as if all one word) CheatinJackieSherrill? Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile.

Okay, quick Aggie joke: Two Aggies walk out of a bar. Hey, it could happen!

Live Oak Brewery - heard of this place, would love to go there

Bitter End Bistro and Brewery - I have a glass from there that my parents gave me. Never been.

Lovejoys - seen their ads somewhere before. Never been.

All the others are new names to me, although I think you have mentioned Real Ale Brewing Company in Blanco here before.


Beer & apple fritters - what could be better?! :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
... let me know next time, and if we're there, we'll have a brew or two!!
I'll certainy post a heads up here, since there seemed to be a lot of Texans here!
 

El Pistolero

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
3,584
Reaction score
17
Location
Houston
Rhoobarb said:
I'll certainy post a heads up here, since there seemed to be a lot of Texans here!
When you come could you stop off in Champaign and pick me up a pie or two from Papa Del's? Thanks...I appreciate it :D
 

Sir Sudster

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
2
Location
Buda, Tx
Rhoobarb said:
Lovejoys - seen their ads somewhere before. Never been.
Hey Rhoobard, this is the place to go for some good suds. If your ever in Austin stop by ...they have some really good beers.

The Bitter End is not too bad either but a little hyped.
 
OP
Rhoobarb

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
Well, six weeks after brewing and 16 days after bottling, I had a chilled bottle of this '1st AG'. This ale turned out very, very well. :) It has a clear, light copper color, nice head and a slightly sweet taste. When I brew it again (and I will), I will likely up the hops just a wee bit.

All in all, I am very happy with this. I can really see the advantages of AG brewing. This is, by far, the smoothest, cleanest, least harsh and most (for lack of any other term) delicate ale I've ever brewed.

I'm glad I went AG, but also glad I waited until my extract brews became very tasty, and I had done my homework. Homework in the form of asking the advice of you wonderful people, reading BYO, reading Palmer's How To Brew, etc.

If I can do it... anyone can!

Cheers!
 
Top