I'm such a dork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I've had both of these carboys for 8 years and I always thought they were the same size. I wasn't until I had to rack two lagers on the same day and sat them side-by-side that I realized one is bigger.

image.jpg

So I measured them off with 5 gallons of water before racking into them. The tall one is 6 gallons to the shoulder.

image.jpg

And if that wasn't enough, I discovered the tall one is too tall for the space I made in my upright freezer ferm chamber and had to bend another shelf.

image.jpg

It looks like a 6 1/2 and a 5.
That carboy handle is not designed for the 6 1/2, I believe the 6 1/2 handle is brown.
Personally I would remove it. I never saw the point of them anyways, you can't carry them by the handle.

I have the brown handles on my bigger ones (without the ribs).

I only carry them by the handle if they are empty. Otherwise I use a brew hauler or I bear hug them. Depends on if in grabbing them from the ground or from a shelf.

It looks like a 6 1/2 and a 5.
That carboy handle is not designed for the 6 1/2, I believe the 6 1/2 handle is brown. Personally I would remove it. I never saw the point of them anyways, you can't carry them by the handle.

I have a half dozen 6.5 gallon carboys with orange handles that specifically state they were meant for that size. Maybe the "brown" one you saw was just heavily stained with old beer.

The handles are meant for carrying when empty, and they're perfect for that...

Cheers!

Back