I'm short 1oz of Chinook. Where should I substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
I'm making the following recipe this weekend:

12 lbs - 2 Row Malt
1.25 lbs. - Crystal 120

1.25 oz - Chinook (60 min.)
1 oz - Chinook (30 min.)
1 oz - Chinook at FlameOut

I only have 2 oz of Chinook, so I was trying to decide how I should change the recipe. The hops I have available are Magnum, NB, Cascade, and Amarillo.

My ideas are:

-Change the 60 minute addition to Magnum
-Change the 60 min to .5 Chinook and .5 Magnum and change the 30 min to .5 Chinook .75 Cascade or Amarillo
-Something else?

Isn't chinnok typically a bittering hop? I believe magnum is also. I'd sub in cascade or amarillo for the late additions, actually, thats pretty much my standard house APA hop regimen.

Chinook can be used for flavor and aroma - it's kind of a love it or hate it hop, I think. Can be pretty aggressive. If that's what you're looking for, sub in the Magnum (pretty clean) for the 60 minute addition, adjusting for AA%.

the_bird said:
Chinook can be used for flavor and aroma - it's kind of a love it or hate it hop, I think. Can be pretty aggressive. If that's what you're looking for, sub in the Magnum (pretty clean) for the 60 minute addition, adjusting for AA%.

I agree- you've got an Arrogant Bastard clone there and I've made it exactly like that with the chinook. I'd change the bittering hops (60 minute) addition if I had to change one. I'd also think the magnum would work as long as you had enough AAUs. My chinook is 14.3%, and I'm not sure what magnum runs.

Magnum's usually pretty high, which is why I recommended that one. If you need to use a little more to get the IBUs, it's clean enough where it won't make much difference in the end product.

If you want a spicey, piney flavor aroma, keep the Chinook towards the end and use the magnum to bitter.

If you want more citrus flavor/aroma, keep the Chinook as the bittering and use cascade for flavor/aroma.

I don't know man. Chinook is a lot more harsh than most other high aa% hops. It's easy to say toss in some Warrior or Columbus or Simcoe but that incredibly pungent Chinook twang is hard to replicate.

My first choice would be to wait until I could get my hands on some Chinook. If that's not an option I'd think about using Columbus or Simcoe.

I'm thinking, though, that the harsh, piney, resiney character will be most dominant in the later additions, and lacking that in the bittering addition may not be as noticable. Personally, I wouldn't brew a beer with JUST Chinook (I'd be hitting up those Amarillos hardcore), but if that's what you've got to work with, use the Chinook later in the boil to get its character.

NB might not be a bad choice, either; that can be a little aggressive, maybe a little pine/resin character to it. Might have to use a little bit more to get the IBUs, but that's a viable choice too.

robnog said:
I'm making the following recipe this weekend:

12 lbs - 2 Row Malt
1.25 lbs. - Crystal 120

1.25 oz - Chinook (60 min.)
1 oz - Chinook (30 min.)
1 oz - Chinook at FlameOut

I only have 2 oz of Chinook, so I was trying to decide how I should change the recipe. The hops I have available are Magnum, NB, Cascade, and Amarillo.

My ideas are:

-Change the 60 minute addition to Magnum
-Change the 60 min to .5 Chinook and .5 Magnum and change the 30 min to .5 Chinook .75 Cascade or Amarillo
-Something else?

I did an IPA that was chinook/amarillo/cascade - really enjoying that hop mix right now. The amarillo and cascade have some flavor similarites but they play off each other really well. All chinook may end up a bit rough...

I've been using up a # each of Magnum and Chinook pellets and I've found that Magnum imparts much cleaner bitterness as an early addition than Chinook, you might want to try the Magnum up front and use the chinook as a later addition or not at all (I'm curious about trying the Chinook in a late addition now though)

As I said, I've done that exact recipe, except that I used maris otter malt instead of two row because I thought it could use it, and 1.5 pounds of crystal 120. Otherwise it's identical to my AB clone.

The chinook isn't as harsh as you'd think if you let it mellow a bit. In fact, I liked it so much I'm making it again as soon as my AHS order comes in.

That's why I think you'd not use the amarillo/cascade in it at all because it just wouldnt' be "right" in there. You'd be changing it to a different beer. Not a bad beer at all, but a different beer. I'd think the magnum hops would be the closest to that recipe.

The magnum is what i would substitute for chinook, earlier on.
i made an IPA like this that tasted great:

2 oz chinook at 60
1 oz chinook, 1 oz amarillo at 15
1 oz amarillo, 1 oz cascade at 5
1 oz cascade at flameout

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go use some Magnum at 60. I've made this before and want to keep as much of the Chinook as possible. Like Yooper said, after about 6 months or so it loses a lot of the harshness.

Man... Chinook is rough stuff. I personally would have used Simcoe but to each his own. I just hope after 6 months of aging it still has nice aroma to it. Maybe let it go for 5 months, and drop an ounce of cascade in dry hopped before serving. It'll give it a nice fresh aroma with the aged chinook flavor.

Back