I'm rubbish at DIY!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
I bought a 36qt coleman, I bought 15mm cooper tubing, I bought a 15 mm ball valve...all good and then things started going wrong.

I've been searching every DIY store in the land for the other fittings. I think I need a female hose tail (?) x2 - , but I'm not even sure they exist! Even google only gives me 2 results. My local stores just do not seem to have these things. All I'm short are the hose tails, a 1.5" brass nipple and some washers... so close but so far.

Are these attachments available in a bunch in some kit or aomething (in UK). I thought I was gonna actually be able to make this thing, but arrgh!! - I am cash and patience down so far :(

Ok, I have bought what I think may work. I have filed some bits down so they fit and all I am short now is the washers.

I'm sure that I am making this 100 times more difficult than it should be, but I cannot find any of the suggested fittings in the tutorials I have found in shops over here!

I will wait till the coleman is delivered and then I will find out whether I have got this right at all...!

Welcome to my world man.

I made a Keggle! Did a great job cutting the top out...Cleaned up very nice. Punched a perfect 1" Hole in the thing for the weldless fitting I got....DAMN! IT"S 3/4" FITTING!

Welcome to my world man.

I made a Keggle! Did a great job cutting the top out...Cleaned up very nice. Punched a perfect 1" Hole in the thing for the weldless fitting I got....DAMN! IT"S 3/4" FITTING!

I feel ya.

I feel like I have to be in the top 10 most useless DIY people in the world at the moment. Thing is, if the pieces I see online in the tutorials were staring me in the face in my local DIY store I would have it built and I would RDWHAHB, but they're not!!!

Cheers

Do-It-Yourself is the way to go.

Just pick it up off the shelf yourself and physically purchase the assembled thingy ;)

Do-It-Yourself is the way to go.

Just pick it up off the shelf yourself and physically purchase the assembled thingy ;)

Good call.

I'm hoping that the satisfaction of making the thing, assuming I will be sucessfulll in the end, will offset the frustration, not to mention financial loss, I have suffered during the process!!!

Drinking a Fullers ESB and trying to relax right now. It's good - this is what I'm doing it for, so I can make beers like this :mug:

Your looking for brass hose barbs. You should be able to find them in the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowes. The stainless washers can be harder to find, though. Check at Fastenal and they should have them or they might have them at the hardware store near the stainless carriage bolts in the hardware department. You're also going to need a brass pipe nipple. This can be found with the hose barbs.

Your looking for brass hose barbs. You should be able to find them in the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowes. The stainless washers can be harder to find, though. Check at Fastenal and they should have them or they might have them at the hardware store near the stainless carriage bolts in the hardware department. You're also going to need a brass pipe nipple. This can be found with the hose barbs.

Cheers

That sound's pretty easy, but Im in the UK amd the homeware stores here, Focus Wickes, Homebase, are about as well equiped as I am a DIY genius - the combination of which seems to have made it almost impossible for me to make this thing!

It will happen though, and I will upload the photo when it does to prove it!!!

Cheers

I'll throw my hat in the ring for most useless DIYer. My mash tun build (sticking a damn pipe through a hole in the cooler) caused about 74 grips to the hardware store buying various things that didn't fit right. I finally found the last bits in the electrical section. Yes, I have fluid running out of my mash tun through an electrical tubular thingy. If it ever starts leaking I'm out $6K for that thing Mr. DogfishHead started with.

Only good thing is I got to ask the old dude at OSH where his nipples were.

Only good thing is I got to ask the old dude at OSH where his nipples were.[/QUOTE]

That's quality. I should've done that!

Back