I'm really doing it this time....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Building a kegerator that is!

I just spoke to the guys at kegconnection bc they're in San Marcos (just a couple hours from here, plus close to Austin where my folks live) and they're calling me back to figure everything out. Should be nice if I don't have to pay for shipping.

Anyway, is this a good deal for a Sanyo build? http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=55 I know I could probubly get it all for a bit cheaper but I'd rather do it right once.

Also, kegs. Is this a good price? http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=82 I'd like to have at least 4 so I could have 2 serving and 2 carbing with priming sugar. 5 would be ideal bc I could keep one loaded up with star san but that will probubly come with time.

Lastly, whats the biggest co2 tank that will fit INSIDE a sayno 4912? Probubly 5# but bigger is always better :D. It's got to be inside otherwise SWMBO would not be very happy...

Graduating rocks not just because I'm out of school (for freakin ever!) but also bc the money I get from random family members I've only meet once. :ban:

Thanks guys!

You can't go wrong buying from Todd, IMO. He'll make sure that you get everything you need.

You can fit a 5# tank and 2 cornies in the 4912 no problem.

I had a few hiccups with them...I swear by the end of it I was calling these guys during their classes and sh*t. They really do know what they're doing and they are very helpful, but I think that they're all part-time students or something too, so you might have some issues getting stuff replaced quickly if that's what happens (one of my regulator gauges was broken when it arrived). And be very clear as to what you want if you're on the phone or e-mailing them. He sent me the wrong disconnect and I had to borrow one from a friend. But all in all, I'd go with them again because I got what I wanted in the end and they were really cool about helping me get set up.

Cool, sounds like they are a pretty good source.

Also, if I pick up locally then I *shouldn't* have any of the problems you're talkin' about Evan! I think we're going up to Austin in a month or so.....otherwise, ~$25 shipping isn't bad...

I bought all my keezer hardware from them and recommend them highly. I did have some leaks in my regulator initially which didn't make me the happiest kid on the block (no gas means no beer make Homer something something). But it did give me the opportunity to learn how to diagnose leaks, re-fit connections, etc which has been valuable to me since then. I can't imagine anyone being much more helpful and willing to help you create your setup and assemble it for you and ship it AND quickly AND at reasonable prices.

I'd strongly suggest upgrading to Ventmatic or Perlick forward sealing faucets. Standard faucets work fine for bars, where beers are being served pretty much continuously and systems are cleaned/flushed every night. In typical home installations, which see much less action and don't get cleaned as much, standard faucets stick like crazy...it's very frustrating in my experience.

I'd strongly suggest upgrading to Ventmatic or Perlick forward sealing faucets. Standard faucets work fine for bars, where beers are being served pretty much continuously and systems are cleaned/flushed every night. In typical home installations, which see much less action and don't get cleaned as much, standard faucets stick like crazy...it's very frustrating in my experience.
+1 to the faucet upgrade. I have standard faucets (which only see 1 beer a day usually) and they stick like crazy. It feels like I'm going to break the tower off the top of the fridge sometimes.

I had the same problem, then I tried using food grade lube sparingly on the cylinder and giving the faucet a squirt of starsan after the last tap of the day. The results have been amazing. No sticking faucets even if several days go between uses.

Guess what I bought today?

keg1.jpg

Uh...no thats new...:(

I just haven't used the GooGone on it yet...Stupid sticker...

BTW, what size hole do I need to drill? Its just for the beer lines to come out of so smaller would seemingly be better right? Or am I wrong? What have you guys used?

Ahhh...thought those were some scuff marks. Don't sweat it, if you drill dead center you're golden. I made a 2.5" hole...started with a cheap hole saw that quickly self-destructed, and switched to a scroll saw. Whatever gets it done. On the fridge interior, I dressed the hole with a ceiling sprinkler bezel, which I found at work, and just happened to fit perfectly.

Yes, it's just for the lines, so smaller is fine. Some people run a hose to blow cold air into the tower, but I didn't bother.

Hmm 2.5" ok...I'm thinking about using a harbor freight hole saw...would it be a good idea to pick up 2 just in case?

I was going to dress it with aluminum foil tape like buford...

is there any reason to go 2.5"? If you went smaller what size would you do/why?

Thanks!

Hmm 2.5" ok...I'm thinking about using a harbor freight hole saw...would it be a good idea to pick up 2 just in case?

I was going to dress it with aluminum foil tape like buford...

is there any reason to go 2.5"? If you went smaller what size would you do/why?

Any proper hole saw should be fine. Once you're through the wood backing plate, the rest is like drilling through butter. (Thin sheet metal, foam and plastic.) Foil tape is fine, anything to protect the lines. And the hole really only needs to be big enough to accomodate the lines.

If you follow Buford's lead, you can't go wrong.

I think I went 2.25 inches, just because it was what I had. I wouldn't go any less that 2 just for easy access, especially if you have to pull a line through with the connector still attached.

Cool, so no less than 2"...got it.

I foresee the size of the hole being decided for me based on the price of hole saws at harbor freight :D

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm ordering the rest of the stuff today from Kegconnection!

EDIT: My comp SUCKS! I seriously can't go to any freakin websites! Could someone do me a HUGE favor and post the number for kegconnection? Danke!

SWEET!

I gotta go by the bank and cash some checks....then I'll call and get my order in. Thanks Shaggy!

So glad this thread came up. I was going to piece one together using various sources and thanks to this thread I can save about $50 in shipping off my original estimate. Thanks! I'm ordering today and going for the perlick faucet upgrade. Now to buy the fridge...

Sweet! Glad I was of some help Redweasel!

I'm actually going to call in tomorrow and order all my stuff...today got too crazy.

Can't wait until next weekend!

Received my 4 cornies just a bit ago at my office!
WOOOHOO!

:mug:

I had to pop one open since I've never messed with one before...still pressurized, smells slightly of the cleaner or lemon/lime...not sure lol.
Regardless, I am psyched!!!

:rockin:

Back