I'm ready for the secondary, Psych!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shahn

Reaction score
I started an IPA last Sunday and it started off after 36 hours and continued to bubble until yesterday. At wich time I figured it was ready to go to the secondary. I shuffled the Carboy into the kitchen and onto the kitchen counter. As I was preping for the siphon my Primary started bubbling again!

Normally I would be really happy about this but not this weekend! I just spent 75 bucks on ingredients for a R.I.S. and some more cash on starter stuff. I was going to do the starter tonight and start the Stout Monday. Do you guys think it's too early to put it in the secondary? Here's a short video I made to give you an idea.

The sound is my English Bulldog trying to get my attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't rack to secondary until at least a week after fermentation is completed as determined my hydrometer. It really is the best way to follow the progress of your fermentation.

If you are planning another brew on Monday, then you can probably transfer it Sunday or Monday, if your gravity readings are stable. You probably knocked some co2 out of suspension when you moved the fermenter- that's why it started bubbling.

As everyone else said, trust your hydrometer rather than the bubbling. One week in the fermenter plus being at fg would be a reason for me to rack it to the clearing tank.

Bubbling in the airlock is NOT an indication of fermentation. You need to take hydrometer readings on consecutive days to determine whether or not fermentation is complete.

That said, since you are going to secondary and not bottling, I don't see any reason why you can't go ahead with your original plan and rack to secondary since you have reached your target gravity. Fermentation may continue in secondary, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Back