I'm putting out an APB out for a Kona recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefBrew

Reaction score
SWMBO wants Kona Wailua Wheat. I must obey.

Anyone who can help, I need an Extract/Grain recipe.

Pulling this slightly out of my ass here...

I'd say go with a standard American Wheat recipe and add passion fruits/pure passion fruit juice to the secondary.

hmm.

Say 6-7 lbs wheat DME

To keep the color as light as possible for an extract/grains, do a late extract addition.

Maybe steep some CaraPils (.5 lb) and some Crystal 10L (.5 lb)

Try a clean bittering hop and only a 60 min. addition

Your going to want to keep a neutral flavor so the passion fruit can come through.

Ferment with a clean, American Wheat yeast.

That's what i would do!

Here are the specs from their site:

15 IBU
5.4% ABV
OG: 12.0 P
Malts: Pale, Wheat
Hops: Hallertau

Are you doing extract or All grain?

If all grain - (I've never tried it, but I'm assuming its more of an American wheat taste with passionfruit)

60% American pale 2 row
40% wheat malt
.75 oz Hallertau - 60 min
.25 oz Hallertau - 20 min
adjust hops depending on AA%
Wyeast 1056

Here are the specs from their site:

15 IBU
5.4% ABV
OG: 12.0 P
Malts: Pale, Wheat
Hops: Hallertau

Are you doing extract or All grain?

If all grain - (I've never tried it, but I'm assuming its more of an American wheat taste with passionfruit)

60% American pale 2 row
40% wheat malt
.75 oz Hallertau - 60 min
.25 oz Hallertau - 20 min
adjust hops depending on AA%
Wyeast 1056

Should've checked the site first, but not bad for a guess :D

Dude, I just got back from a week in Maui and we drank the hell out of this stuff. My SWMBO demanded a clone as well. I've done all-grain wheats before and used orange zest to simulate a blue moon with the orange already in it. My only problem now is actually finding pashion fruit in October in Cincinnati.... any one have an idea on that?

Dude, I just got back from a week in Maui and we drank the hell out of this stuff. My SWMBO demanded a clone as well. I've done all-grain wheats before and used orange zest to simulate a blue moon with the orange already in it. My only problem now is actually finding pashion fruit in October in Cincinnati.... any one have an idea on that?

What about Jungle Jim's? I think that's the name.

What about Jungle Jim's? I think that's the name.

I liveacross the street from JJ's and of course I checked there first. They don't have any Kona products. So I checked with Kona and the closest distributor is in Louisville.

I just realized you were talking about the pashion fruit. I'll check on that and report back soon;)

haven't had the wheat, but i love the kona pale ale.
even contacted them about giving up some of the grain ratio's for a good ol' homebrewer, but they denied. can't blame them, when you have a good product you gotta keep it. although they do list grains and such on their website so that could get you started. part of the fun is to keep trying, and trying, and trying, and trying, and trying. burp!

Back