I'm not going to dump but should.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapaglia

Reaction score
1 Gal Unfiltered pasteurized Apple Juice -3/4 cup
OG 1.050,
1 teas. Nutrient,
1/4 teas. Energizer,
aerated 1L for 2 minutes O2.
Pitched 1/4 cup water with EC-1118 yeast.

Started on 9/27/2008
Fermented at 65-67 Deg F.
Stopped on 10/17/2008 after 2 tests in 3 days FG of 1.002

Added 1 teaspoon Peptic enzyme
Cleared on 11/20/2008

Sat on the counter in a 73 degree room with an airlock until yesterday.

Bottled with one oz of corn sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water.
9 bottles and some left. The amount left is about 4 oz and it went in the fridge in a glass with a cover to chill. 24 hours later it was tasted.

Its watery, and has a strange semi bitter after taste. Not at all enjoyable. No vinegar taste. Just nasty. Ill leave it until Christmas just to see but I don't expect it to be anything worth wile.

Any ideas?

OK, OG is 50 and FG is 2. Sounds pretty dry from what I gather.

Does it have a "musty" odor/flavor? If so, I recommend pouring it all back intot eh bucket and adding the appropriate amount of potassium sorbate (PS)and let it sit for another 3-4 days. Those odors/flavor will go away. You can re-bottle then. If you want to backsweeten it you can add about a 1/8 cup of Splenda or a thawed can of AJ concentrate and rebottle. You will not be able to carbonate it though after using the PS.

I have a feeling that taste is the taste of green and unaged dry cider. Let it sit for another 6 months or so, then see about how it is at that point.

My cider tasted pretty bad at first. Closer to seltzer than what I thought of as cider.

It's about 8 months old at this point, and it's starting to get good... next time I make cider, I'm going to supplement it with some dark malt extract to try to get a little body and residual sweetness into it.

This is not the first one. Thats why I am keeping it and not dumping it. It is just different than others I have done. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back