im not getting fermintation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepcj469

Reaction score
hi there. So i started my first 2 batches of mead. 1 of them is going fine but the second hasn't done anything in 4 full days.
what i did in the stuck batch was
15lbs of honey
5grams of Lalvin 71B (sealed new packet)
7.5grams of Fermaid O
7.5grams of GoFerm
fill to 5 gallons in glass carboy
starting Grav on 3/26 was 1.110
today Grav on 3/30 is still 1.110
I re hydrated the yeast with nutrients before adding them to the must.
I did this the same for both batches the 2nd batch is going good
should I keep waiting or make new yeast?
thanks in advance

That is what I was thinking but do I make a starter (I think it's called) with more fermO and go ferm or do I just add another pack right into the carboy?

I would just toss in the pack. If your yeast from the first batch is truest not doing anything, then they wouldn’t have used any of the nutrient you already added. Hopefully someone with more experience making mead will chime in.

Curious, are you taking gravity reading with hydrometer or refractometer? If with a refractometer, you need to use a tool in brewing software or online as alcohol can thrown off the reading. For example, if your OG was 1.110, or 25.6 Brix...the same gravity using the "fermenting wort gravity" tool calculates that adjusted reading as actually 1.106...a small change, but a sign that it can be slowly starting to take off. Are you aerating the must daily also?

Curious, are you taking gravity reading with hydrometer or refractometer? If with a refractometer, you need to use a tool in brewing software or online as alcohol can thrown off the reading. For example, if your OG was 1.110, or 25.6 Brix...the same gravity using the "fermenting wort gravity" tool calculates that adjusted reading as actually 1.106...a small change, but a sign that it can be slowly starting to take off. Are you aerating the must daily also?
I was using a hydrometer as I heard they were easier when I bought stuff.
I have been swirling the bottle a few times a day to help aerating and once I used my wand on the drill to try and add even more.

Wondering about temperature... two things, first, when you re-hydrated the yeast to make your starter, did you use boiled water that had cooled and if so, are you sure you cooled it enough? (If the water was too hot when you added the yeast, you could have killed the yeast.) And when you pitched the starter into the carboy, what was the temperature difference between the starter and the must in the carboy? (Big difference in temperature can shock the yeast.)
Second, what is the temperature of the room where your carboy is now?

Wondering about temperature... two things, first, when you re-hydrated the yeast to make your starter, did you use boiled water that had cooled and if so, are you sure you cooled it enough? (If the water was too hot when you added the yeast, you could have killed the yeast.) And when you pitched the starter into the carboy, what was the temperature difference between the starter and the must in the carboy? (Big difference in temperature can shock the yeast.)
Second, what is the temperature of the room where your carboy is now?
OK so I didn't boil the water it was just warm (should I next time) when I pitched it the carboy the starter was probably within 10 degrees of carboy. It took forever to piur the honey in the carboy. And now the temp guage on the side of the caroy is reading 70.

OK good news so I didn't do anything while I was waiting on comments and about an hour ago I checked it again and now it's bubbling away a little slow but it's picking up speed.
So I think I did that thing where you over think about it and panic for no reason.
I really didn't wanna be that person lol. The longest I read it should take was 3 days so this seamed to long but it's good now. I'm still happy to hear any advice as this is all new to me minus watching like 1000 videos.

Back