Im new to this forum,, please help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtownbrew

Reaction score
I just posted my first thread with a valid question about hops and had a very helpful response. But unfortunatlly I also had a very rude and unacceptable response from some one who thinks he is a class clown.

Is it possible to erase or remove an unacceptibale response from a thread that I post??? :mad:

In the spirit of the schoolhouse metaphor you are using; why don't you just ignore him? It's not a novel, just a thread. If you got good advice then follow it and ignore the rest. It hardly keeps you from following the good advice, does it?

Well, you could always try *ignoring* the rude and unacceptable response...

... or if the post is truly offensive you can always (and should) bring it to the attention of a moderator.

However if you consider this to be "very rude and unacceptable" you *seriously* need to grow a thicker skin.

I just read your thread. Which reply do you find unacceptable? I find the responses to be very helpful

Most of the people in this site are very helpfull and eager to help from the most basic newby question to a complicated question. My brewing has improved a lot with the information and advice I have found on this site. Jerks live everywere so just ignore them here like you do in other place.

Honestly, compared to some of the things I've seen on this forum I read this as humor, not rude and unacceptable, believe, when you see rude and unacceptable, you'll know it:)

As mentioned, if it is truly offensive, derogatory, personally insulting or just completely unacceptable it can be reported to the mods and be deleted. In most cases though the best thing to do is shrug it off and have a beer:D

Ok people... maybe not so much rude and unacceptable but a stupid babbeling reply to a serious question... I dont have the time for thaat crap.. I look to this forum for serious answers.. i was not aware that talking smack is the norm.. trust, i can talk s*%t with the best of them.. the reply i got was freaking a waist of time... Now that i know the game, its all good...

^

large_Schermata_09-2456191_alle_12.44.58.png

Ok people... maybe not so much rude and unacceptable but a stupid babbeling reply to a serious question... I dont have the time for thaat crap.. I look to this forum for serious answers.. i was not aware that talking smack is the norm.. trust, i can talk s*%t with the best of them.. the reply i got was freaking a waist of time... Now that i know the game, its all good...

Okay, in all seriousness all the people here mean well and want to help you.

This is thread you are talking about. (Unless you are talking about a post on another forum altogether.) Which post was stupid and babbeling smack talk? Has the poster of the offending post re-edited it? I honestly can not see any post, as they exist now, there that could be fairly described in the way you have.

But if you have a complaint then, please, inform a moderator. That is what they are for. Well, *one* of the things they are for. Honestly, you do *not* want to belong to a forum where members are allowed to delete other people's posts.

I'd like to possit that in conversational forums responses that joke in a friendly manner and might not actually address the OP's questions directly, do have their place here and serve a positive purpose. After your post got a very serious and adequate response there were three postings that didn't answer your question and were of a humorous nature. Two were jokes and one was a person responding to one of the jokes claiming that the joke was funny. Although these three didn't provide "serious answers" they did provide positive and useful responses; they indicated empathy and understanding of your original post and encouragement and positive response to you having posted. A person wouldn't tell a humorous story about his teenage daughter and hop-sexing if he didn't feel concern and empathy with your original post. Nor would someone joke about a "hermie alert" if he weren't mutually sharing an interest in the gender of hop plants.

Admittedly these posts cut down the "information ratio" of the thread, but as your question was answered you promptly, these posters politely waited until you had some "serious" information before providing their levity. And believe me levity is appreciated. It's rather disconcerting to post a thread get a curt response and then dead silence.

I'm sorry your time is too precious for such social niceties and that you consider signs of empathy and comaradery crap. Rest assured after your responses in this thread, I'm sure few will consider insulting you with friendship and niceties again.

I'm sorry your time is too precious for such social niceties and that you consider signs of empathy and comaradery crap. Rest assured after your responses in this thread, I'm sure few will consider insulting you with friendship and niceties again.

This.

I read the thread that you posted and either the offending post was removed or you have VERY thin skin. If you're referring to the post about the guy in the hardware store with his daughter then you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to chill out.

i was not aware that talking smack is the norm.. trust, i can talk s*%t with the best of them.. Now that i know the game, its all good...

Talking smack is certainly not the norm. (If anything this forum is too *nice*. I could post a thread about my cat peeing in my wort and I'd get at least half a dozen responses that maybe it'd be a unique flavor simply because the people here want so badly to make everyone happy.) And we certainly do not want you talking **** with the best of them. And no, that is most certainly *not* the game.

Take a deep, *DEEP*, breath and step back from your thread. Now read it again. This time read it as though a stranger had written your first post. Try to erase any possible first impressions you may have had about the post that offended you.

Because seriously, I don't think any-one here sees anything except a humorous and harmless and ,yes, relevent anecdote.

And frankly, we all find your reaction to it rather bizarre and inexplicable. We do *not* think you are "not playing the game" or otherwise over-reacting to "smack". We simply do not comprehend why you find any posting on your thread to be in any sense negative, "stupid", or a waste of time. We really, really don't.

Sorry, this is a beer drinking and beer brewing community, drunken babbling and rambling comes with the territory..............

If every reply in the thread was a drunken rambling I could see your point but your questions were answered intelligently and quickly so RDWHAHB:fro:

If you're really going to be offended at the occasional humorous response exemplified by the "hardware store" story, you may be in the wrong place.

This forum can often be a mix of informative discussion, friendly banter and off-hand remarks. That helps to keep it fun and interesting. The mods do an outstanding job of keeping the truly offensive stuff to a bare minimum.

Btw- what is s*%t? :drunk:

Oldtownbrew said:

You sure seem like you've got time for "crap" if you asked me. Geeez

Yaaaa... Ok people mybe your right.... i over reacted... Might of had to much coffee that morning... Some times i am a little to serious at times.. What was posted was really not a big deal but very off the wall for my sense of humor... Its all good. Time to start this association over from the beginning. i would like to say that the reply I received from the first responder with the pics of the hops plants was great. several other very helpfull replies.That is was i was looking for in joining this forum. I would like to thank those people.. every one else with there input, thanks as well.. Time to move on with all of this..

I think admitting one is wrong is courageous. At least I am hoping... otherwise people would have burnt me at the stake for a few of my ill-thought-out posts.

Yaaaa... Ok people mybe your right.... i over reacted... Might of had to much coffee that morning... Some times i am a little to serious at times.. What was posted was really not a big deal but very off the wall for my sense of humor... Its all good. Time to start this association over from the beginning. i would like to say that the reply I received from the first responder with the pics of the hops plants was great. several other very helpfull replies.That is was i was looking for in joining this forum. I would like to thank those people.. every one else with there input, thanks as well.. Time to move on with all of this..

Well there's your problem right there. Too much coffee, not enough beer.

You'll find this place is extraordinarily helpful, yet playful as well. Work hard, play hard. You'll get the answers you're looking for, but you'll also have a bit of fun.

*Waste* :p

What was posted was really not a big deal but very off the wall for my sense of humor...

Maybe it seemed that way, but it wasn't really. It was about the sexing of hop plants and an underline understanding of the difficult nature of doing so was at the heart of it. Not all useful posts answer questions. Some simply assure the OP that he is not alone and that his concern has been heard and fallen on sympathetic and understanding ears. Often those are every bit as useful as fact-filled filled practical responses. Actually, often they are *more* useful.

And it was a cute story.

Im not not sure if thats beer abuse or cat abuse hmmm mostly i feel sorry for the fir being forced to contribute to a BMC clone...... poor kitty

I love my cat and would never ask this of her. As for beer abuse... well, once it is slated for a Miller Lite Clone there is nothing you can do to abuse it further.

Back