im new to home brew, need a little help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickie

Reaction score
Hi,
i have made wine for a while but now starting on beer! i made a beer a few months back and all was well. This time i went for a lager, i used muntons spray malt (light) 500g + 500g sugar = 1kg total. Also muntons gold yeast. its been on for 11 days (i was told 7 would be enough) but the SG seems to be stuck at 1.0010.

I think it needs to come down to 1.0005 before i can bottle it.? The temp is correct and constant, do i wait a few more days or do i need to add something?

Any help would be appreciated!:tank:

I think you might have one to many zeros?

Not sure what you starting gravity was but you can bottle at 1.01.

I won't hurt to leave it go a little longer. I let all my beers ferment for two weeks but it is just a personal preference.

I hope you included some hops in that recipe! :drunk:

The recipes that most homebrewers use are a bit more complex than yours, but your reading of 1.0010 is REALLY LOW for beer! If you think it will go lower, you can always wait longer and that is what I would suggest. Patience is key in this hobby.

In the meantime, take some time and read up on procedures, recipes, etc:

How to Brew - By John Palmer

Good luck!

What temps were you fermenting at?

I agree, too many 0's, 1.010 is fine for bottling but taking measurements to verify it's not going down is one way, waiting for 3 weeks is another. :mug:

My bad! one too many 0`s! sorry. i just had a chat with a guy from a local brew shop, and he said as long as it has a stable SG 1.010 (not1.0010) it will be fine to bottle. i have checked the SP each day from day 7 (now day 12) and has been at 1.010, i think i will bottle tonight and give 2 - 3 weeks then its drinking time. i only found home brew talk.com today so thanks for the quick replys guys! i have 2 books on order for me to brush up my beer brewing skills.

also, I recommend dropping the munton's yeast from future brews... I just don't trust that stuff. It NEVER fermented out well for me.

Back