I'm new and I need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlg

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new and I need some help. I want to make hard cider but I don't know what recipe to use. I've been searching but there are so many I don't know how to decide. I've never done this before so I need something simple and easy to understand. Here is what I have (let me know if I need anything else).
  • 1 gal Old Orchard Organics 100% Apple Juice Pasteurized
  • 1 gal Trader Joe's 100% Apple Cider No preservatives Pasteurized
  • 5 gal glass jug
  • 1 -5 g packet of Lalvin wine yeast Selection ICV D47 Saccharomices cerevisiae 4.5 -23 L (1-5 IMP. Gal/ 1-6 U.S. Gal)
Thank you for your help
Nicole

Try searching "Apfelwein". There is a thread on it by Ed Wort takes all of 10 -15 minutes to make I've got some fermenting now. Good luck!

Hello,
I'm new and I need some help. I want to make hard cider but I don't know what recipe to use. I've been searching but there are so many I don't know how to decide. I've never done this before so I need something simple and easy to understand. Here is what I have (let me know if I need anything else).
  • 1 gal Old Orchard Organics 100% Apple Juice Pasteurized
  • 1 gal Trader Joe's 100% Apple Cider No preservatives Pasteurized
  • 5 gal glass jug
  • 1 -5 g packet of Lalvin wine yeast Selection ICV D47 Saccharomices cerevisiae 4.5 -23 L (1-5 IMP. Gal/ 1-6 U.S. Gal)
Thank you for your help
Nicole

+1 on the Apfelwine. Your yeast should work although I use Prise de Mousse (Lalvin CY 1118)

Basically: 5 gallons of juice, 1 lb of sugar, 5-10 g of yeast, and that's it. I back sweeten and carbonate mine but I think most folks make theirs dry, English Style.

Ok I searched for Apfelwine and this is the recipe that I got:

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Equipment

5 Gallon Carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
Carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
Funnel
1.First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
2.Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
3.Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
4.Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
5.Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
6.Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
7.Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
8.Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
9.Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.

What do you think?

Also do I use apple juice or apple cider? Can I use both and mix them together?

And Can I reduce the recipe? Like instead of 5 gals use 2.5 gal?

Thanks
Nicole

yes, you can use cider or juice. i've used both. if you want to reduce that recipe to 2.5 gallons, just cut everything in 1/2

Back