I'm just trying to screw-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttownbrew

Reaction score
OK, so several of you read about and commented on my first screw-up of leaving the primary on the clothes dryer and my wife starting a load of laundry. Seems that was not a MAJOR mistake.

How about this one...

Second batch tonight. A Cream Ale. Everything seemed to be cooking right along. Finished boil, chilled wort and went to take out the hops. Finishing hops...all is good. Bittering hops however had managed to seep out of the muslin bag. End sewed shut and knot on the other end all in one piece, I guess they just broke down and leaked out of the bag.

How big a deal is this. Will it just settle out in the Primary?

Thanks...everyone says that it is hard to screwup and make a bad beer. I am begining to think that I am up to the challenge!

No matter how hard you try, beer is not that easy to screw up! I have never used hops bags yet- I just toss the hops in there. One thing I do though is pour the wort through a sanitized strainer and catch alot of the sludge that way. Still, even if I don't all that stuff settles out in the fermenter anyway.

YooperBrew said:
No matter how hard you try, beer is not that easy to screw up! I have never used hops bags yet- I just toss the hops in there. One thing I do though is pour the wort through a sanitized strainer and catch alot of the sludge that way. Still, even if I don't all that stuff settles out in the fermenter anyway.

I have to agree with this 100%

I never even bother with a hop bag, just throw them right in.

I know it's hard to recognize when you're first starting out, but there are very few variables that will really have a negative impact on your beer.

RDWHAHB is the motto for a reason.

I also just toss the hops in and strain them on when transferring to primary.

I intentionally leave hops in. There is evidence that the hop debris actually helps beer to clear by giving protiens some thing to glop onto and fall out of suspension. So There! You actually improved your beer.

i just toss the hops in and i do not strain them when going to the primary. They only get removed when racking to the secondary.

this is good info...thanks guys. The few things I had read said to make certain to use a bag for the hops, which left me a little worried.

I appreciate the input!

Latest posts

Back