I'm hoping this is just CO2 bubbles and not an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
AHS Stone Smoked Porter Clone - Extract with steeping grains

Double Pitch White Labs English Ale 002 @ 70*

Fermented in primary (6.5 Gallon Bucket) for 17 days @ 68*

OG 1.064, SG day 15 1.019 SG day 17 1.019 (Target FG = 1.018)

Racked to secondary (5 gallon glass carboy) to free up primary. Very think trub about 3/4"

Airlock on secondary began to bubble (I figured it was CO2 being released from the transfer), but it has now incresed to a small bubble every second. There is significant trub int eh secondary now too.

It's hard to photograph through the glass, but here are several shots...

beer01.jpg

beer02.jpg

beer03.jpg

No foul odor from the airlock, and I'm trying to RDWHAHB but I've not seen this on any of my other beers, however this is my first dark beer so perhaps the bubbles just stand out more against the dark beer.

An infection, I am told, looks like a pellicle (skin) on top of the beer. Someone has a really good picture of one (lactobacilis to be exact) here. But anyway, they have a vein like structure to them, meaning that if you don't see this, you likely don't have an infection. What you have looks like the beer is outgassing, not infected. Those look just like bubbles of CO2 with yeast/hops stuck to them.

okay, i'm actually having a homebrew with lunch.. :) I'm planning on letting the porter sit in the secondary for at least 11 more days before bottling

I don't think that looks like an infection either, especially in the last pic.
I don't think I have ever had two fermentations that looked the same. It is always a crap shoot what it is going to come out looking like.

Back